Exit

Scratch Disk full bur have 200gb of space available

Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day guys

Please point me in the right direction.

When i try to save my photo back to lightroom with the changes i made in photoshop it gives me scratch disk is full, but i have more than 200GB of space.

I have tried -

Disk Cleanup

Temp files deleted 

Purg.

And stil it does the same ??? 

Please HELP.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

The message in your screenshot does not say scratch disk full, it says disk full. What space do you have on the disk to which you are saving your image.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show a screenshot of Photoshop Preferences > Scratch Disks. It's under the Edit menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot (2).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's weird. The only thing I can think of is to reset preferences.

In case you want to ask why that should help: Resetting preferences is not just about zeroing out your own settings. Everything related to the configuration of the application goes into the prefs file, and if it's corrupted, lots of weird things can happen. Resetting returns the application to clean factory state. Preferences are prone to corruption because they are rewritten on every exit, as opposed to program files that are read-only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot (3).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still does the same

I am at the point of uninstalling and reinstalling.

been at this for 3hours now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The message in your screenshot does not say scratch disk full, it says disk full. What space do you have on the disk to which you are saving your image.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure, how do i check to where it wants to save the image ?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You just pointed me in the right direction !

Thank you DAVE.

It wanted to save tiff file where the photo was stored on, That drive was full.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome - glad to help 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a real problem!

I have encountered this on two machines and have not been able to overcome it.  Both have huge amounts of free disk space but I cannot even start Photoshop.  I ended up deleting everything in AppData/Adobe and it worked for a bit but happens again 15 minutes later. 

I have been a Lead Technologist for 15 years, I have also taught Photoshop for about the same time.

First time I saw this was in my classroom around September 2021.  Not common but clearly a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not clearly a bug at all.

The issue raised in this thread was actually user error trying to save to a disk that was full rather than a scratch disk issue.

As far as the actual scratch disk use, I've seen three issues leading to the scratch disk  being full. Two are user issues not bugs.

1. Insufficient space left for scratch.  Depending on the files being used, pixel size, layers, smart object content, history states, and of course the function being carried out, scratch space can grow considerably. Photoshop will reserve around 5GB on opening then grow the scratch file as required. It can grow well over 100 GB and occasionally higher but it can always be traced to the above. It is not stated in the system requirements but they should really state at least 250GB free space on scratch disk.

2. A common error which is creating too large a document. For example, accidentally creating 300px/cm instead of 300 px/inch makes a huge difference to file size and in turn to scratch disk use.

3. An undeleted scratch file left behind after a crash and unnecessarily using disk space. If Photoshop is closed the temp scratch file can safely be deleted.

Scratch disk is working space for Photoshop rather than just overflow for RAM.   I have 256GB RAM here but still expect, and see, the scratch file using similar disk space. It is the reason that a fast disk such as an NVMe for scratch can make such as difference to Photoshop performance. I use a fast drive with over 1TB free for scratch.

As I said, I've never seen a bug on this (outside the temp file undelete following a crash) , but if you think you have found one then please give full details of the system, the file being used, and the steps being carried out in order that it can be replicated.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Screenshot 2022-04-28 at 08.43.10.png

The problem I have is that the External SSD takes up the value you of the Internal SSD,I updated my mac and photoshop still.I even used my external SSD on another mac and it worked fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines