Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scratch Disk Full Error but no Fix

New Here ,
May 16, 2020 May 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there! 

I am once again writing on here as it has been over a week and I have had no help on some of my issues with Photoshop, stuck not using the application because of it. My photoshop kept continually crashing for no reason and today I tried to create a new document rather than working with my old ones and possibly came across why it kept crashing in the first place. When trying to make an image of 1000x1000 px, I was haulted from doing so with the message "scratch disks full." Upon so, I have followed from multiple postings and youtube videos on how to fix it and have done the following:

1. Cleared up space of computer, which cannot be the issue as I never had more than 50% used on my 500+ GB SSD. But, still I deleted as much as I could and have lowered the waste on my computer. Thus, there is now 200+ GB free for the disk. However, this clearly did not fix the issue.

2. Then I deleted the temp files for photoshop. There were a handful of them, but after deleting then, again same issue.

3. I played around with the devoted ram percentage. No matter what number between 65-80, there was no fix.

4. Purging the cache. It seems I had already done this a while ago because all fields are grayed out, assuming that they have alread been cleared. So, this in fact did nothing.

5. The final option I saw was to defragment a hard drive. However, upon investigation, I read that this is not to be done for SSD, so this clearly cannot be the issue for my computer.

I am really frustrated with this issue and the lack of support from Adobe on this. If anyone has any suggestions please send them my way. I have done quite about everything and seemed to have made no progress. I have never had issues with photoshop until recently and have made no changes to my computer. My laptop is only less than year old so it is ridiculous to think that the issues are stemming from it. I've had 10 year old PCs run photoshop on worse hardware and never had this difficult of a time.

TOPICS
SDK , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2020 May 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have multiple partitions on your disk, changing the scratch disk to a different partition could help. Try to use a partition other than the one on which OS is installed. See the following for more details on how to do it

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/scratch-disks-preferences.html

Also you could disable the Auto recovery saving of files in the preferences, that should reduce the amount of space bring used as scratch disk

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2020 May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A few things to try that you have not mentioned above.

1. Reset Photoshop preferences. The preference files contain more than just your user preferences and are saved every time Photoshop closes. If they become corrupt strange behaviour can follow.

2. Check you operating system for permissions, does Photoshop have full access to the disk you have specified for scratch?

3. Try running Photoshop as administrator. This would point to a permissions type issue.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines