Highlighted

scratch disk full when I have over 50gb space?

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop keeps telling me that my scratch disk is full, I have checked it and I have 56.66gb free on my mac so I am slightly confused as to how much space is actually needed for photoshop to fully function. Can anyone help???

If you work with really large file - it's common to use your disk as additional magazine instead of RAM.

If you see message about Scratch Disk - no way - you will lost your work. It means your machine have not enougth memory to run and savbe your artwork. Sorry - it's true.

But,

If you see this message try to go to Edit menu and choose Purge optin. Purge All can help you to save your work (maybe)

Simply

You have very large image, many layers (Smart objects) and full memory usage

Pawel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

scratch disk full when I have over 50gb space?

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop keeps telling me that my scratch disk is full, I have checked it and I have 56.66gb free on my mac so I am slightly confused as to how much space is actually needed for photoshop to fully function. Can anyone help???

If you work with really large file - it's common to use your disk as additional magazine instead of RAM.

If you see message about Scratch Disk - no way - you will lost your work. It means your machine have not enougth memory to run and savbe your artwork. Sorry - it's true.

But,

If you see this message try to go to Edit menu and choose Purge optin. Purge All can help you to save your work (maybe)

Simply

Pawel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 09, 2017 0
LEGEND ,
Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are your Performance and Scratch Disk Preferences settings?

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-photoshop-cc-performance.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 09, 2017 1
Contributor ,
Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do You have more than one partition?

Check in scratch disk settings, where You have setted scratch disk, and add maybe second partition (which have that 56,6GB) and then try again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 09, 2017 1
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And check AT THE TIME OF THE ERROR MESSAGE and before clicking OK whether the free space is actually used. 50GB is not so much.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 09, 2017 1
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you need to check the free space while the message is being displayed.  I have seen Photoshop use over 120GB of scratch space on my machine.  It depends one what you do how much space Photoshop will use. When you close Photoshop down Photoshop will return all scratch space it used back to free space.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 09, 2017 1
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

what should we do in such case?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 20, 2017 0
Advocate ,
Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But,

Simply

Pawel

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 09, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scratch disk is a fixed size on your hard drive. So while you may indicate you have 56 GB free space on your hard drive, there is no correlation to what PS is actually using.

Like others have indicated you are going to have to increase your scratch disc size to compensate for the larger files you are working with.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 09, 2017 1