• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scratch disk full

Explorer ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have looked at solutions for this by they all invovle opening photoshop. I cant open photoshop becuase the scratch disk is full. What should I do? I have macbook pro running MAc Os X catalina 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the complete computer specs, including hard drives (how many, what kind, what is on each, and how full)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), spare storeage spsce on interhal hard drive 6.18 GB 

2.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If what you posted means 6.18GB free space remaining on that Mac, that’s about the same as zero. Try to free up storage space.

I personally like to aim for at least 100GB free, because just macOS needs a lot of free space for things like backup snapshots, RAM swap files, sleepimage files, all kinds of large temporary files that get created and purged all the time. Start up a major graphics application (like Photoshop or Lightroom), video editor, etc. they all need to create large temporary files too. There has to be room for macOS and applications to breathe (work with large temp files) on that internal storage, and 6.18GB is not nearly enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i run lightroom and final cut pro and lots fo other similar apps just fine, its photshop that isnt working. . Is there not a way to delete files from the cahce or the scratch disk from the file manager? I can't just free up 100 gb . I have parallels runnign which is about 90 gb and my entire hard dirve is only 250gb. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can’t manually manage (delete) scratch files because they are going to be created based on the size of the Photoshop document you’re editing, and then automatically deleted when Photoshop is quit. Larger document sizes create larger scratch files. But you can redirect scratch files to be created on a separate storage volume, using the Scratch Disk preferences in Photoshop.

These are your main options, and it sounds like the first one is going to be the most realistic for you:

• Attach a fast external storage volume (e.g. external SSD) with a lot of free space, and set Photoshop scratch disk preferences to use that as the primary scratch.
  • Edit smaller Photoshop documents.
  • Free up more storage space on the system drive.

Other ideas:

• If you are using Lightroom Classic, check the size of the *previews.lrdata files next to the catalogs and if any have are now become many GB in size, trash them. The preview files will grow again as they get rebuilt, but you’ll temporarily get back some storage space.
  • If you are not already minimizing the file size of your virtual machines in Parallels, run File > Free Up Disk Space on them to free up more GB. I had not done that in a while, and Parallels just freed up 10GB from my Windows VM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I set the photoshop scratch disk when I cant open photoshop becuase the scratch disk is full? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Phil,

Hold Cmd+Option, then launch PS (Mac) or if you are on Windows, launch PS and immediately press and hold Ctrl+Alt.

jane-e_0-1599783879912.png

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines