Highlighted

Scratch disk getting WAY too full

New Here ,
Sep 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I downloaded a game UI psd that is 165MB in size. I edited it for my purposes without any apparent problems for a while. However, whenever I open it (which takes a very long time) my SSD loses 46GB in available space. Moreover, since recently I am constantly getting the "could not complete action because the scratch disk is full" message, even while having no history whatsoever, and can no longer work on it.

Why on earth is a PSD file taking up TWO HUNDRED AND SEVENTY EIGHT times more space than its full size? The file does have several smart objects, could this be the cause? If I were to use a script to rasterize them all would it fix the issue?

Thanks a lot!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by davescm | Adobe Community Professional

Where did you measure the file size of 165MB. If that is the PSD size on disk then it is prior to the lossless decompression when loaded into memory.

If you are looking at Image - Image Size then it is the pixel size of one layer x 3 (or x 6 for a 16 bit image). It ignores multiple layers.

If you are looking at the bottom left of the document window it includes layers but not the contents of smart objects which themselves can contain other smart objects.

Finally, scratch disk is working space, not just document size, and its use depends on what functions you are doing.  10s of GBs is not unusual at all.

Dave

TOPICS
Bug, Crash or freeze, Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Scratch disk getting WAY too full

New Here ,
Sep 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I downloaded a game UI psd that is 165MB in size. I edited it for my purposes without any apparent problems for a while. However, whenever I open it (which takes a very long time) my SSD loses 46GB in available space. Moreover, since recently I am constantly getting the "could not complete action because the scratch disk is full" message, even while having no history whatsoever, and can no longer work on it.

Why on earth is a PSD file taking up TWO HUNDRED AND SEVENTY EIGHT times more space than its full size? The file does have several smart objects, could this be the cause? If I were to use a script to rasterize them all would it fix the issue?

Thanks a lot!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by davescm | Adobe Community Professional

Where did you measure the file size of 165MB. If that is the PSD size on disk then it is prior to the lossless decompression when loaded into memory.

If you are looking at Image - Image Size then it is the pixel size of one layer x 3 (or x 6 for a 16 bit image). It ignores multiple layers.

If you are looking at the bottom left of the document window it includes layers but not the contents of smart objects which themselves can contain other smart objects.

Finally, scratch disk is working space, not just document size, and its use depends on what functions you are doing.  10s of GBs is not unusual at all.

Dave

TOPICS
Bug, Crash or freeze, Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 12, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normal. Get more space or set scratch to another disk. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 13, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really? There's really no setting to reduce this? Does it REALLY need 278 times the full file size? What is the purpose of this?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 13, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the way raster image editing goes. If you worry about file sizes you're in the wrong business.

You really need to get more scratch disk space.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 13, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 13, 2020 0