• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scratch Disk Issue after updating to Photoshop 22.3 on macOS 11.1

Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a very, to me at least, odd issue with my scratch disk setup in Photoshop after the latest update.

I have an SSD that I run Photoshop and Lightroom from and I've had Photoshop setup to use it as a Scratch disk since I got it. It's never caused a problem before but suddenly it will very quickly state that my Scratch disk is full. Despite the fact that my MacHDD system drive has 10gb free and my SSD has almost 200gb free.

I'm not working with any heavier or bigger files than usual and my workflow is exactly the same. The files I work with are typically .TIF files with a final size of around 2.42 gb before being exported to JPGs.

I am currently running Photoshop version 22.3 and Mac OS Big Sur 11.1

Below are some screenshots of what Photoshop is telling me about the scratch disks and what my OS is telling me about them.

Am I missing something obvious or is this a new issue?

// William

{Thread title edited by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop due to the scratch disk error. Please update macOS to the latest version (11.2.x) & check if the issue persists.

If it does, you can try to reset the preferences of Photoshop using the steps mentioned here: https://adobe.ly/2Qzc0K3

Please backup your settings prior to resetting the preferences. You can check: https://adobe.ly/2vNz6FG

For more information about scratch disk issues, please check: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/scratch-disks-preferences.html

Let us know how it goes!

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

So after updating to the latest Mac OS version, and making sure all my Adobe apps were updated, it seems to have freed up some space on my OS drive (about 7 gb) but it still shows my OS drive and my SSD to have the same amount of free space, when that is not the actual case (OS drive has around 17.5 gb free while the SSD has over 150gb free)

Is this an intentional setting or limitation I'm not aware of or is something still acting up?

// William

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Do not open a file and then check the scratch disk storage available.

Also, check if you are using the tiff files which are big in size my may need to have more storage available.
After opening the file please check the image size after opening it (Edit> image size)

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info! This shouldn't be happening if the drive is the correct format. Have you tried to reset the preferences yet? Would you mind checking the file format of the drive? Also, if it is an external SSD, try ejecting & reconnecting the SSD to the machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

As Ankush Bansal mentioned I have not checked the Scratch disk availability with a file open, it's always been with Photoshop opened without any project open at all. And the previously stated information about the Image sizes still is the same when I check it in that way too.

I tried to reset the preferences and it did not help. Will try to eject and reconnect the disk again as I haven't tried that after updating the Mac OS. I'll let you know how it goes Nikunj.

// William

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2021 Apr 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi William,

I unfortunately don't have a solution for you, but have noticed scratch disk issues starting in an update to Photoshop 21.x. I think Adobe must have changed something in there. My scratch disks used to be purged once I closed open files. This is no longer the case for me and requires me to quit photoshop before they are purged. I have been constantly getting "scratch disk full" errors that I never used to get. I just updated to 22.3.0 in hopes of fixing a different Adobe bug (it didn't) and found that the problem is even worse for me. I tried opening a bunch of files to run an action on them. These are files which I had opened already. I have 100 GB of free space and was told my scratch disk was full twice. On the third attempt it finally allowed me to open them all. I have also noticed that it now takes far longer for the scratch disk to be purged once I quit photoshop.

So again, sorry to say that I don't have any help other than to say that Adobe seems to have messed something up here somewhere in the last several updates.

Best of luck in fixing this! -jesse

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines