Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scratch disk issue - Photoshop not recognizing an external SSD on Mac

New Here ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I get the pop-up that my scratch disk is full. I have removed irrelevant files that use Photoshop but it does not work and I have also followed this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX9SbSnqY0g It does not work either.

I do have a 500GB SSD of which 400GB is free. If I want to choose that drive to store the scratch disk on, it only shows the internal drive. How do I get Photoshop to show the external drive so I can choose that one? I am on a Mac

Thanks already!

{Thread title modified by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are sorry about the trouble with Photoshop while trying to use the external hard drive as a scratch disk. Would you mind sharing the version of Photoshop you are usng along with your computers macOS version?

Please check the format of the external drive. If the drive is in NTFS format, Photoshop would not be able to detect it as a scratch disk drive on a Mac. You would need to re-format the drive to Mac OS extended (Journaled).

You can also check: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/scratch-disks-preferences.html

Let us know if it helps!

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nikunj,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I am using macOS Catalina version 10.15.4 and Photoshop version 21.1.3.

The format of the external drive is ExFAT. Does it have to be journaled because I sometimes have to get files from a Windows device?

Warm regards,

Jasmin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears you have to use a Mac specific format. You can use multiple partitions, to maintain a space for sharing with Windows. (You will lose all data when you repartition or reformat).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I don't think it is possible but if I can set up multiple partitions for Windows, can't I set up multiple partitions with the journaled format? I already use 100GB on the SSD and I don't have that much space on my mac right now to secure those files when reformating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you purchase an external drive with the space to store those files?  It doesn't have to be an ssd and even Terabyte drives are economical. Then you can partition and format it without worry. Or you can format the external drive as NTFS and see how that goes as a scratch drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you don't have backups? I really suggest you need more storage as a priority. External disks are not the most reliable hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Newer Macs are notorious for fixing in the drive and memory at the time it is ordered, so I don't know if replacing the internal drive is an option. External drives have never given me problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This SSD is my backup (I am only a student)😅🙈 What other kinds of backup do you recommend that does not cost a lot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the only copy of your files is on the SSD, it isn't a backup. A backup means there MUST be two or more copies in different places....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only keep the important files on both. As I said, I am only a student and my files are not that important. But I see know that it would be useful to have more backups. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this point that's all I can suggest without getting into Cloud storage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you both! I will keep your suggestions in mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines