Highlighted

Scratch disk preference full, photoshop won’t launch!

New Here ,
Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Any help would be greatly appreciated. When launching photoshop 'scratch disk pretences are full' launches and when pressing ok shuts down photoshop. This means I can't change preferences within photoshop. I have tried clearing files. Holding the alt/ctrl/alt button (on a windows pc) and nothing is working. Please help! 

Thanks 

TOPICS
Download and install, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Scratch disk preference full, photoshop won’t launch!

New Here ,
Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Any help would be greatly appreciated. When launching photoshop 'scratch disk pretences are full' launches and when pressing ok shuts down photoshop. This means I can't change preferences within photoshop. I have tried clearing files. Holding the alt/ctrl/alt button (on a windows pc) and nothing is working. Please help! 

Thanks 

TOPICS
Download and install, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 04, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You should be able to access the scratch disk by holding Ctrl + Alt while launching Photoshop, you should see this screen, you need to keep holding down the keys while Photoshop is launching.

2020-11-04 13_59_37-Adobe Photoshop 2021.png

How much free space do you have on the C drive

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 04, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

thank you for getting back to me. I have done so and this is what comes up- 

670740A2-78E9-4603-AC65-4CBFE10306C2.jpeg

And when opening photoshop this is what appears without holding any keys- 

77037013-30C9-4E60-9346-6617535909CB.jpeg

What should I do next? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 04, 2020 0
Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You only have 3.6 GB of free space, you need to free up space on the C Drive, you're going to run into other issues not related to Photoshop on an operating system level, you really need about 15% for HDD's and 20% for SSD's of free space for the operating system alone.

https://www.windowscentral.com/best-ways-to-free-hard-drive-space-windows-10#page1

https://www.howtogeek.com/125923/7-ways-to-free-up-hard-disk-space-on-windows/

In relation to the scratch disk, you need a minimum of 50 GB, but you should really be looking at 200 GB or more, depends really on how large the files you're working on are.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 04, 2020 0
Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ged is absolutely right but just for clarity, he meant to write so need to clear space on the C :Drive (not no need....) 🙂

Photoshop here takes 5GB of scratch space on opening and when processing large files can take 100s of GB.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 04, 2020 0
Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops 🤣

I'll correct that

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 04, 2020 0