• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scratch Disks Full

New Here ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I continue to get a message saying my scratch disks are full and then Photoshop wont open. Everything ive read about this issue says to open photoshop and go into preferences etc... but if it wont even open up how do i fix the issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The scratch disk isn't a Photoshop setting. It's actual physical disk space, and if you don't have any left, Photoshop can't work.

Not only that; when you get that message, disk space is so critically low that you risk the whole machine freezing up completely. You need to take action and free up space immediately.

Photoshop moves large amounts of data around, and there's no such thing as "enough RAM", no matter how much you have installed. So temporary working data are written to disk, and this is the scratch disk.

How much space you need depends on how big your files are, and how many you have open. But realistically, anything below 100 GB is too little and a problem waiting to happen. 500 GB is more comfortable. I'd never go below 500.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can also hold down hold down the Cmd + Option keys (macOS) or Ctrl + Alt keys (Windows) during launch to set a new scratch disk. Photoshop scratch needs to be on a disk with at least 100GB free.

But if your current scratch disk is also your operating system disk, as D.Fosse says, clear some space urgently regardless of where you switch the scratch disk to.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines