• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Screen goes grey when I change brush size?

Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I am using an updated Photoshop 2021 on Windows 10. Whenever I try to adjust my brush size (alt+right click) the image I am working on goes totally gray until I am done adjusting my brush size. I reformatted my computer recently and reinstalled photoshop and it has been doing that since I reinstalled it. Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

The Alt right click and drag brush sizee and hardness feature requires GPU acceleration to be turned on, so if you are having an issue with it, it _might_ be to do with your video card driver, or probably more likely, it is yet another glitch with tools and features that use the GPU that have plagued us for the last three updates.

Can you tie the start of this issue with when you last updated Photoshop?

What is the image mode and bit depth?
Does this happen with all images or just the one?

When

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a first step I would reset the Photoshop preferences.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#reset_preferences

If this doesn't help please deactivate the GPU support.

Troubleshoot Photoshop graphics processor (GPU) and graphics driver issues (adobe.com)

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.5 - Nik Collection 6.8 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Alt right click and drag brush sizee and hardness feature requires GPU acceleration to be turned on, so if you are having an issue with it, it _might_ be to do with your video card driver, or probably more likely, it is yet another glitch with tools and features that use the GPU that have plagued us for the last three updates.

Can you tie the start of this issue with when you last updated Photoshop?

What is the image mode and bit depth?
Does this happen with all images or just the one?

When exactly does the image become greyscale? i.e. when you hit the Alt key, or when you hold down Alt and right click? Or not till you move the mouse?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For some reason the issue resolved itself and is no longer happening anymore. Thank you for your response though I appreciate your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines