script to import a list or words into photoshop layers

Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the old forum there was a very useful script to import words from a text file into individual layers in Photoshop. These old posts are gone unfortunately and due to a hard drive failure and lack of proper backup, I have lost the script. It was in forums.adobe.com/thread/2200206  and here is a portion of the post I found in a cache. Does anyone have the complete script?

Here's a quick script that can do. It assumes that there is a text file on your desktop named "name list.txt" it also assumes that the text using a return between names file, this can be changed to commas or anything else you want to use. You must also have an open file to make it work. It does not define the font or the font size, but you can put in the script or select all layers later and change it at once.

#target photoshop
var doc = activeDocument
var textFile = new File(Folder.desktop+ '/name list.txt');
var list = readText (textFile).split('\n');

for (var i = 0;i<list.length;i++){ var="" artlayerref="doc.artLayers.add()" artlayerref.kind="LayerKind.TEXT;" textitemref="artLayerRef.textItem;" textitemref.contents="list[i]" }="" function="" readtext(file){="" if="" (textfile.exists)="" {="" textfile.encoding="UTF8" ;="" textfile.linefeed="unix" textfile.open("r",="" "text",="" "????");="" str="textFile.read();" textfile.close();="" return="" str;="" <="" pre=""> </list.length;i++){>

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

script to import a list or words into photoshop layers

Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the old forum there was a very useful script to import words from a text file into individual layers in Photoshop. These old posts are gone unfortunately and due to a hard drive failure and lack of proper backup, I have lost the script. It was in forums.adobe.com/thread/2200206  and here is a portion of the post I found in a cache. Does anyone have the complete script?

Here's a quick script that can do. It assumes that there is a text file on your desktop named "name list.txt" it also assumes that the text using a return between names file, this can be changed to commas or anything else you want to use. You must also have an open file to make it work. It does not define the font or the font size, but you can put in the script or select all layers later and change it at once.

#target photoshop
var doc = activeDocument
var textFile = new File(Folder.desktop+ '/name list.txt');
var list = readText (textFile).split('\n');

for (var i = 0;i<list.length;i++){ var="" artlayerref="doc.artLayers.add()" artlayerref.kind="LayerKind.TEXT;" textitemref="artLayerRef.textItem;" textitemref.contents="list[i]" }="" function="" readtext(file){="" if="" (textfile.exists)="" {="" textfile.encoding="UTF8" ;="" textfile.linefeed="unix" textfile.open("r",="" "text",="" "????");="" str="textFile.read();" textfile.close();="" return="" str;="" <="" pre=""> </list.length;i++){>

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 22, 2020 0
Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not the same script, but perhaps similar enough?

Courtesy of Lumigraphics:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/photoshop-each-line-of-text-to-a-new-layer-sh...

#target photoshop

addText();

function addText(){
    if(documents.length > 0){
        var originalDialogMode = app.displayDialogs;
        app.displayDialogs = DialogModes.ERROR;
        var originalRulerUnits = preferences.rulerUnits;
        preferences.rulerUnits = Units.PIXELS;
        try{
            var testFile = new File('~/Desktop').openDlg('Select import file', '*.txt'); //select text file
            if(testFile != null){ //catch user cancel
                testFile.open('r');
                var textLine = testFile.readln();
                var docRef = activeDocument;
                var LayerRef = null;
                var TextRef = null;
                var pos = 200;
                while(textLine != ''){ //read in text one line at a time
                    LayerRef = docRef.artLayers.add();
                    LayerRef.kind = LayerKind.TEXT; //new text layer
                    TextRef = LayerRef.textItem;
                    TextRef.contents  = textLine; //text from file
                    //optional text styling, customize to suit
                    pos = pos + 50;
                    TextRef.position = new Array(pos, pos);
                    preferences.rulerUnits = Units.POINTS;
                    TextRef.size = 48;
                    TextRef.useAutoLeading = false;
                    TextRef.leading = 48;
                    TextRef.font = 'Calibri-Bold';
                    TextRef.justification = Justification.CENTER;
                    TextRef.autoKerning = AutoKernType.METRICS;
                    //end optional text styling
                    textLine = testFile.readln(); //read the next line from file
                    }
                testFile.close();
                }
            }
        catch(e){
            alert(e + e.line);
            preferences.rulerUnits = originalRulerUnits;
            app.displayDialogs = originalDialogMode;
            return;
            }
        preferences.rulerUnits = originalRulerUnits;
        app.displayDialogs = originalDialogMode;
        }
    else{
        alert('You must have a document open to run this script.');
        return;
        }
    return;
    }

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 22, 2020 0
PixbyTed LATEST
Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much. I will give it a whirl.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 30, 2020 0