• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scripting guide - copy blocked

Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Scripting documentation is amazing. It's like the '90 all over again.

Specifically, I'm wondering how [abuse removed] adobe employee must be to:

- provide documentation in PDF format (ever heard of the web? name one other documentation that comes as a PDF)

- lock that PDF from COPYING!?! Seriously?

msedge_ccBLRTi90Z.png 

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I download PDF manuals from many manufacturer  for Products I buy so I can search through them with my computer. I'm not always online and online documentation is only better if it is kept up to date.  Photoshop is changing all the time documentation is never up to date and Photoshop scripting rarely gets a change so '90 documentation should be good. It can be copied however,.  you can not edit it or even copy paste from it which is a pain. Many time I wanted to copy information in the documents.

You may to find old version of Adobe scripting  documents on the web that are not locked with a password the you can copy and paste from. The information is most likely correct.

I know I copied script code out of old CS6 Photoshop Javascript reference.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange. Shouldn't be locked. I'll get the web team to fix that. I've attached a copy you can copy from. Thanks for the report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeffrey that PDF is 300KB smaller then the locked version online????

image.png

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jeff,

The JavaScript and AppleScript reference PDF files are also secured, has been this way for many releases. I understand why Adobe may wish to lock editing, but at least being able to copy should be permitted IMHO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2021 Jun 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each of the four pdf on ADOBE PHOTOSHOP SCRIPTING

include code samples that are educational and form a solid jumpstart for beginners.

Not being able to copy these samples is suboptimal. 

If will be better when they are fixed.

thanks RrR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another user lamenting the fact that the PDF files are secured from copy here:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The photoshop-vbs-ref-2020.pdf document seems perfect with the sample scripts provided.
However, the pdf document has been saved as a SECURE pdf so the examples can't be copied and pasted to another document to allow these examples to be run. SO are these examples available somewhere else as surely in this day and age we are not expected to type them out?

Clive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly this has been the case for many years:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Stephen for your prompt reply.

I noticed from the link that you supplied that @J453 (Adode) was able to supply a 'normal' pdf copy of the 'photoshop scripting guide' the same day as the question was raised from the 'Adobe web team'.

Is this therefore possible for 'photoshop-vbs-ref-2020.pdf' to be supplied as I really can't see what the issue is........

Thanks Clive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I missed out the name of the file that @J453 (Adode) supplied. It was "photoshop-scripting-guide-2020_unlocked.pdf" and this can still be downloaded and examples copied from it.

So the question is can an unlocked version be provided for 'photoshop-vbs-ref-2020.pdf' as it seems so easy item to be resolved.

Thanks, Clive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an unlocked version of the VBS doc. I've asked the team that handles these to update them on Adobe.com. Looks like they're working on organizing everything with the other APIs on Adobe.io

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2022 Jan 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jeffrey can you put up the js reference as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I meant the unlocked 'copyable' version of photoshop-javascript-ref-2020.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought the reason they were moved to new location was to share unlocked versions 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any update on providing these documents unlocked? The ones in github are still locked:

https://github.com/Adobe-CEP/CEP-Resources/tree/master/Documentation/Product%20specific%20Documentat...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Can you send a link to javascript-ref-2020.pdf (unlocked for copying content)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the unlocked versions of the Photoshop Scripting Guide, and Photoshop JavaScript and AppleScript scripting references (sorry for the large file size, it's due to the tool used).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe even better, using online2pdf.com, better readability and smaller file size:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 21, 2023 Mar 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can you also ask them to rewrite the entire scripting guides they're awful.  I don't think I have ever seen more poorly written API documentation.  It is pretty useless stuff and their is no community to speak of to get examples, samples, etc. to aid ones cause.  You're stuck with the endless loop of referrals (with not links) to other pages, documents all leading to a dead end or additional referrals to yet more dead ends.   

No information is conveyed in any seection or part of the document fully.  Terms, topics and names are used prior to introducing them to the reader.  Vauge descriptions, definitions and ambiguous use of the same word to define the word or topic being read.  Frustrating.   I have wasted several hours trying to perform the most basic script with limited success.  I receive nothing resembling an error message that offers guide to the root cause,but instead meaningless vague dribble.   Unbelievable.   You have to do better, you must do better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines