• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scrubby zoom not working

Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2015 Nov 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm using the latest version of CC on my iMac and scrubby zoom has stopped working.  I've read posts about this OpenGL thing but I don't have any option anywhere to either switch it on or off. I'm no tech wizard so forgive me if this is something simple that I'm missing. I desperately need this zoom to work. Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 11, 2015 Nov 11, 2015

If it is , try clearing your preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi FranticPhotos,

Please go to the Preferences of Photoshop , Click on Edit>Preferences.

In there go to the Performance Tab, once there please click on Show Advanced Settings under " Use Graphics Processor".

There you will find the option for " Open GL"

Also please check the following article , if you are on the latest version of MAC : Photoshop and El Capitan | Mac OS 10.11

Regards,

Tanuj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2015 Nov 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are Welcome, Glad to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 20, 2015 Nov 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx Tanuj, the plugin solved the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 20, 2015 Nov 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are Welcome,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2017 Jan 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tanuj,

I just downloaded the new PS CC 2017 as well and neither my scrubby zoom or rotate page is working.  I tried to reset preferences and turned on open gl etc... but nothing works so far.  I also updated my driver for my GPU ( nvdia gforce GT 610 ) .  Here are my system specs,

Intel i3 3240 @ 3.4GHZ

8 GB RAM

64 bit operating system

If you have any ideas that would be great. 

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2018 Jul 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody, my scrubby zoom has failed numerous times. It's intermittent -- while I'm working on a file, scrubby will magically start working and then magically stop. Replacing prefs file sometimes works but today neither that nor relaunch nor reboot has any effect.

I believe it might happen more often in larger files (current one is 180MB) but I haven't kept meticulous track of that.

I've also tried turning it on and off in Illustrator prefs, and I've tried creating a new file before opening the 180MB one. Scrubby works in the new file but when I open the big one, no got. I'm doing stuff that requires constant zooming in and out, and this SNAFU is really messing up my productivity. Any suggestions?

2016 iMac, AMD Radeon R9 M395 2048 MB, 32GB RAM, OS 10.11.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 06, 2018 Oct 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

miken85463333  wrote

Hi everybody, my scrubby zoom has failed numerous times. It's intermittent -- while I'm working on a file, scrubby will magically start working and then magically stop. Replacing prefs file sometimes works but today neither that nor relaunch nor reboot has any effect.

I believe it might happen more often in larger files (current one is 180MB) but I haven't kept meticulous track of that.

I've also tried turning it on and off in Illustrator prefs, and I've tried creating a new file before opening the 180MB one. Scrubby works in the new file but when I open the big one, no got. I'm doing stuff that requires constant zooming in and out, and this SNAFU is really messing up my productivity. Any suggestions?

2016 iMac, AMD Radeon R9 M395 2048 MB, 32GB RAM, OS 10.11.6

You could try updating or rolling back the driver for your graphics card or even convincing your MacOS to remove and reinstall the graphics. I suspect Adobe may be having difficulty detecting your card's identity or its capabilities, and it may therefore disable the graphics acceleration abilities of the card, which definitely will disable scrubby zoom if it occurs.

I don't have quite the same degree of the problem, what I get is that from session to session, at unpredictable times, for a given time that I start Photoshop the graphics processor (maybe one in 30 times) will suddenly be disabled for no clear reason, then I just turn the acceleration back on in Prefs and restart the program and then it works properly again. I am sorry to hear that yours seems to be going in and out of proper operation multiple times even within a single PS session and I wish you the best of luck. Just try changing what you have not changed before, such as the suggestion in my first paragraph above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2022 Aug 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it didn´t worked for me. An de "R" button stoped as well. Can you help me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop > Preferences > Performance on the menu bar. See if your GPU is selected for Graphics Processor Settings in the upper right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is , try clearing your preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clearing preferences worked a treat, thank you so much for the help! Life saver

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2022 Nov 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no graphic card in my laptop so please tell me how the enable options scruby zoom ...

So please guys tell me

My laptop dell core i5 2nd generation........ How to the enable scruby zoom option in my laptop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this, just had the same problem.

Turning on the 'Open GL' did the trick.

Just a note, you need to restart Photoshop for the changes to work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 06, 2018 Oct 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PeculiumPhotography  wrote

Thanks for this, just had the same problem.

Turning on the 'Open GL' did the trick.

Just a note, you need to restart Photoshop for the changes to work

Also for anyone viewing this in 2018 and beyond, it is now Open CL instead, at least on nVidia graphics cards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2022 Nov 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no graphic card in my laptop so please tell me how the enable options scruby zoom ...

So please guys tell me

My laptop dell core i5 2nd generation........ How to the enable scruby zoom option in my laptop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, @Haris5FBD thank you for giving some information, can you tell us if you tried to check "Deactivate native canvas" in Edit>Preferences>Technology Preview?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2019 Feb 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clearing preferences worked for me. Scrubby zoom had been intermittent. When it wouldn't work Photoshop would tell me there was an error with my graphics card. It's a GeForce 940M/PCIe/SSE2 card. But when checking on the status of the card the report says it's working properly. The opening downside to clearing preferences is all my recent open files list has been cleared. A bug lurks so I wouldn't be surprised to encounter this problem again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That didn't work for me but I found the answer on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovFMOIiu6uE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright so I was experiencing a similar issue, I checked Edit > Preferences > Performance > GPU Performance and Animated Zoom. It drives me nuts that I searched everywhere for a solution but nothing works, they only ask us to make sure that GPU Performance and Animated Zoom is on and it is. 

Now here's the solution for me and it might be the problem for you as well, so I might as well share this with you. I was in REGULAR PREVIEW MODE and in this state, you can only zoom with the rectangle window thingy. What you want is GPU PREVIEW MODE which will bring back the scrubby zoom. Activate with CRTL+E.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just spend half the morning figuring this out because NOTHING worked. It just stopped letting me scrubby zoom randomly. 
If you have a drawing tablet monitor connected to your motherboard and not your GPU, it may not let you use scrubby zoom. You'll actually go in and plug your drawing monitor into your GPU directly. It wasn't even an issue for me for 6 days after I plugged in my drawing monitor. I literally went to get coffee and my zoom settings changed when the computer went to sleep.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same issue here, i havent found a solution yet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2022 Aug 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It didn´t work for me... zoom and "R" button not working after the last update (08/25)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 27, 2022 Aug 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated Photoshop this morning to 23.5 on Windows 10 and I have the same issue - scrubby zoom and all hardware acceleration features (like smooth panning) not working, even though "Use graphics processor" is checked under Preferences > Performance and the graphics adapter is detected as AMD Radeon R9 200 Series.

I tried all recommended fixes like enabling/disabling graphics processor and restarting PS, resetting preferences files, loading PS without optional plugins. Nothing worked.

In the end, I just reverted back to 23.4.2 and scrubby zoom is back! So the problem is for sure with the 23.5 update that breaks the feature, possibly by no longer recognizing my graphics card as "capable" for graphics acceleration, all while not actually disabling graphics acceleration in Preferences. 

My graphics card, although old, is still capable of playing recent games, even though AMD no longer provides driver updates for it. I don't want to spend $1k on a new card only to get scrubby zoom to work in PS. Adobe please fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines