Highlighted

Second internal hard drive not visible as scratch disk option. Photoshop CC, OS X

Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently upgraded to an SSD on my MBP, I bought a caddy and swapped out the optical drive for the original HDD internally. Now, I was hoping to move the scratch disk from the SSD to the original HDD, but the HDD doesn't even show up as an option in the Photoshop preferences. The drive is easily accessible anywhere else, and even accessible through the open/save/etc. menus within Photoshop, so OS X and Photoshop both know the drive is there, but Photoshop just isn't showing it as an option within the Scratch Disk options setting.

Any ideas?

What format is the volume?

Some formats don't support all the necessary OS APIs needed for scratch volumes, and won't be available.

(such as NTFS, or ExFAT)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Second internal hard drive not visible as scratch disk option. Photoshop CC, OS X

Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently upgraded to an SSD on my MBP, I bought a caddy and swapped out the optical drive for the original HDD internally. Now, I was hoping to move the scratch disk from the SSD to the original HDD, but the HDD doesn't even show up as an option in the Photoshop preferences. The drive is easily accessible anywhere else, and even accessible through the open/save/etc. menus within Photoshop, so OS X and Photoshop both know the drive is there, but Photoshop just isn't showing it as an option within the Scratch Disk options setting.

Any ideas?

Some formats don't support all the necessary OS APIs needed for scratch volumes, and won't be available.

(such as NTFS, or ExFAT)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 27, 2013 1
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a definitive answer. I Have 10 different drives / partitions (SSD & HDD), both internal and external. All show up in my CS6 preferences as available for scratch disks.

If you haven't yet, I would erase - zero write the HHD, give it a new name (Scratch Disk). Reboot your system and see if that makes the drive visible in PS.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 27, 2013 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was hoping to not have to reformat it (I have some other seldom accessed files on there, as well as a partition for testing OS X updates. But, if nothing else works, I will reformat after backing it all up.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 27, 2013 0
Jun 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(such as NTFS, or ExFAT)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 27, 2013 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same as the SSD, Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 27, 2013 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Chris - I just re-read your comment after writing my comment above and now I'm confused. Are you saying that NTFS is not compatible? What other format is there for Windows? All of my drives are formatted NTFS and the only one that is not visible is the secondary internal drive.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 21, 2013 0
LEGEND ,
Aug 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox is a top Adobe engineer who has been writing Photoshop code since the last millennium.  You need to keep in mind that he's responding to a question about Mac OS X, not a Windows box.

In the Mac world, NTFS formatted drives are not compatible with scratch disk use.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 21, 2013 1
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@station_two Thanks for the clarification. I hadn't considered that the OP was using OS X, only that this issue doesn't seem to be limited to OS X. In reading the comments, it is very much a cross-platform issue with Photoshop CC.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 21, 2013 0
LEGEND ,
Aug 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue, as it manifests itself in Windows, appears to have a different cause or causes (permission to write to the drive or whatever), which I am not qualified to address, as I am primarily a Mac user.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 21, 2013 1
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@station_two Well, as it turns out, you are my hero even though you are a Mac user! I discovered that, as you suggested, the drive did not have the proper permissions set and Photoshop was not displaying it because it did not access to write to it.

For anyone else having this issue in Windows, here is a potential solution:

DISCLAIMER: Adjusting your folder permissions can potentially create a security risk. I am only offering instructions to get Photoshop to properly recognize your Windows drive in the case that your permissions are set in such a way that Photoshop cannot write to the drive. I am not responsible for any problems that may arrise as a result of following the instructions below.

1. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the Computer folder where it lists your hard drives
  2. Right click on the hard drive you want to use and click Properties
  3. Click the Security tab at the top
  4. In the Group or user names box, look for your windows user name or the group "Users" or "Everyone" (Typically only one of these is necessary. If you don't see any of these, see instructions for Changing Drive Ownership below), and then click Edit below this box
  5. Select each group / user name individually and mark the the checkbox for the Allow column next to Full Control in the Permissions for... box
  6. Click Apply and then click OK on all windows to exit

Changing Drive Ownership

1. After completing Steps 1-3 above, click the Advanced button under the Permissions for... box
  2. Select the Owner tab and click Edit
  3. If you see your user name, select that and proceed to step 5. Otherwise, click Other Users and Groups
  4. In the box where is says Enter the object name to select, type your windows user name and click Check Names to verify that it is able to find your user name (if you are having trouble, you can just try typing the word "Everyone" -- PLEASE NOTE that this will give anyone the ability to access the drive without needing to log in to your windows account)
  5. Click OK to return to the previous window and then click the checkbox next to Replace owner on subcontainers and objects
  6. Click Apply and then OK twice to return to the Properities window with the Security tab open to complete steps 4-6 above

Hope that's helpful to someone!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 21, 2013 3
LEGEND ,
Aug 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad I sent you in the right direction, and that you're up and running now. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 21, 2013 0
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7, and it worked only after running PhotoShop CS6 as administrator

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 08, 2013 4
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same rule applies to the MAC...

Go to the external HDD in Finder...

Get info

Unlock permissions (you'll need your password)

Change everyone from read only to read and write.

Close and reopen Photoshop and bingo... you have another scratch disk...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 28, 2014 1
Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bless your soul. I just fixed this by fixing adding my user permissions, and viola, photoshop allowed me to use it as a scratch disk. A two minute fix!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 21, 2014 0
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Windows 7, and it worked only after running PhotoShop CS6 as administrator"

- 123_57ar7up

I'm on Win 7 & I use PS CC. This method STILL WORKS!!!!

I can't, for the life of me, understand why everyone has completely ignored this post & concluded other methods are safer/easier/etc.

No changing permissions.

No reformatting.

Yes. The problem lies in the fact that Photoshop doesn't have the permissions to write to the hard drive that you *ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

"Open" -> PS = No Permissions

"Run as Administrator" -> PS = Permissions!!!

That's it. That's all you have to do differently.

Now, go take a nap & forget all about the fight you were just having with your PS

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 28, 2015 2
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi xzybyzn,

Do you need to start Photoshop as an administrator EVERY time you run it so that it can use the secondary drive as a scratch disk? Or just the first time in order to select it?

Thanks for your help!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 02, 2015 1
Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Setting the privileges as I described above (see posting for jimkahnw from April 6, 2014) should be a once-only operation.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 02, 2015 0
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey adamissosmrt‌,

Yes you do, but it's easier than it may seem. You can set it to run as administrator automatically every time.

1. Right-click the PS icon.

2. Click "Properties"

3. Choose the "Compatibility" tab

(Optional step: Click the "Change settings for all users" button, unless you don't want other users to use PS with full permissions)

4. Check the box for "Run this program as an administrator"

5. Click "Apply" then "OK" (Do I really need to make this 2 separate steps? I don't think so)

6. Celebrate

7. Nap

jimkahnw‌:

I can't get behind that method because you make the drive open for modification by any ol' program/person/etc.

It's like using a missile when only a sniper rifle is necessary.

If you only need PS to have elevated permissions, why not just give PS elevated permissions instead of lowering the permissions necessary to access your hard drive.

The only reason I can see going the "change the Read-Only status" route, would be if you had an EXTERNAL hard drive that was Read-Only in a way that kept it from being modified at all (i.e. adding files, editing files, formating the drive, etc.). But that's a completely different problem (with the drive, instead of with PS)

The only "side-effect" of changing the PS permissions is that you have to go through the extra step of also clicking "OK" on the UAC (but even that is only if you have UAC confirmation enabled)

Hope that helps,

Cheers!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 02, 2015 1
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you ..."THANK  YOU". I have been pulling my hair out about this subject. And as simple as setting Photoshop 2015 to run as admin. fix it for me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 28, 2015 0
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running Photoshop as administrator fixed the problem for me. Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 06, 2017 1
Participant ,
Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same issue - cant read the external drive for cache

what do yo do with the permission if you have Mac? how can i check q change it if this is the problem?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 10, 2017 0
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This didn't work for me. I found I was already admin but my easystore still wont show up on PS scratch disk options for my macbook pro 13". I've been reading all these posts but nothing works for me ever since I downloaded the 2020Photoshop :((((( I've lost so much precious time trying to fix. I wish this wasn't changed in 2020 version  :((((

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 01, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am the same

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 08, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here!. Was visable as a scratch disk within earlier Photoshop (CS6) additions but not in CC.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 02, 2013 1
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue on Windows 7. Worked fine until a couple of days ago, now none of my secondary drives are available. All drives are NTFS and worked fine with CS6.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 28, 2013 0
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same issue here, i see the hard drive on my system but not in scratchdisk option. mine on windows 8

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 14, 2013 0