• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Select a pine tree to edit the tree

Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know similar questions have been asked, but couldn't find the answer to this.  I am using the latest version of Photoshop. I have a photo with a pine tree with several branches at the top of a hill.  Behind the tree is a blue/grey sky.  I want to enhance the tree, not cut it out.  I want to be able to select it and make enhancements while leaving the sky behind it alone.  It's difficult because spots of the sky show through some of the branches. 
Can anyone please advise me or suggest a place where I can find the answer to how this is done?  I'm getting better at Photoshop but still have a ways to go. 
Thank you very much. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Try making a selection from the blue channel.

1. In the the channels panel duplicate the blue channel

2. Select that duplicate channel and use image adjustments curves set as shown below so that it inverts and makes the tree and ground white and sky black

2020-02-21_16-42-29.jpg

3. Paint in black over the ground leaving just the tree (you are painting on that duplicate channel)

2020-02-21_16-58-20.jpg

4. Load the channel as a selection (click the dotted circle at the bottom of the channels panel) and turn back on the RGB channels

You ca

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Can you post the image in question or a sample of it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would have to either make a selection of the tree and then mask the adjustments to that selection, or use the blend if sliders to limit the adjustments. And as GED mentioned, you need to post the image, so we can give a better answer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attached is an example of the photo that I was referring to.  I want to enhance the tree and leave the sky as it is.

This is just a quick jpeg that I made of the .psd file I am working on.

Thanks for your help.Tree On A Hill_example.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try making a selection from the blue channel.

1. In the the channels panel duplicate the blue channel

2. Select that duplicate channel and use image adjustments curves set as shown below so that it inverts and makes the tree and ground white and sky black

2020-02-21_16-42-29.jpg

3. Paint in black over the ground leaving just the tree (you are painting on that duplicate channel)

2020-02-21_16-58-20.jpg

4. Load the channel as a selection (click the dotted circle at the bottom of the channels panel) and turn back on the RGB channels

You can now use your selection to add an adjustment layer or make a mask etc

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or do what Dave says. I'm not picky. lol (I keep forgetting about the all-powerful Channels; old habits die hard since I never had them in my Elements days.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much I will try this.  I'm not sure how to make the curves tool come up when I'm working in the Channels, but I'll figure it out.  Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just select the duplicate channel (make sure the other RGB channels are off using the eye symbol) and then go to menu Image > Adjustments > Curves (or press Ctrl+M)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Want to thank you very much.  This absolutely worked and I learned a lot from doing it.  I even tried kind of reversing the curves to select the sky and made a few adjustments there.

Again, thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome. If there is good contrast in a channel then it is often a good starting point for a mask/selection.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of adjustments do you want to do? Brightness and contrast? Select and Mask will be your friend here in conjunction with an adjustment layer and its mask (on the tree).

Start out using something like the Object Selection Tool. Once you have a basic selection of the tree, you can then add an adjustment layer with the selection active; Photoshop will add the adjustment layer with the mask automatically. You can then refine the selection using Select and Mask on its Options bar. (Make sure to have any of the selection tools active or use Select > Select and Mask on the menu bar.)

If you need to add another adjustment layer (say, curves) but somehow lost your selection, you can easily copy an existing mask to another in the Layers panel by holding down Alt (Windows) or Opt (Mac) + dragging the mask onto another. Confirm and OK.

If you've never done this before, be prepared as this will be somewhat involved especially if you want to knock out the openings between branches. Get the Quick Selection Tool in Select and Mask, use a small brush size and zoom in. Toggle between the different masks using shortcuts to get a good idea on your progress. (O for onion skin; K for black & white, etc.) It might not take long depending on how satisfied you are with the results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your suggestions.  Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines