• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Select all transparent pixels in an image?

Enthusiast ,
Nov 18, 2017 Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to select all transparent pixels in an image?

I have an image with lots of layers and lots of masks, and I want to select exactly the pixels that are 100% transparent in the image. (Or, alternatively, all the pixels that are not completely transparent).

I thought I could do this by creating a Fill Layer with a color that doesn't occur in the image, and then Select : Color Range… with a fuzziness of 0 and clicking on one of the colored pixels. But it turns out that this only partially selects the transparent pixels, unless the Fill Layer is Black or White. (Try it out, I was surprised by this behavior). There is also the problem that if you accidentally choose a color in the Fill Layer that happens to be in your image, you will perforce select those pixels too.

I have a way to do this that is a little convoluted, but I thought that there might be a one-step solution.

TIA

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 18, 2017 Nov 18, 2017

Wasn't at the computer before, so I couldn't check, but this seems to work (you can make a Action of it):

1. With all layers visible, Stamp Visible (Control+Alt+Shift+E)
  2. Select Transparency of the stamped layer
  3. Enter Quick Mask
  4. Invert
  5. Threshold = 255
  6. Exit Quick Mask
  7. [Optional] Delete the new layer.

You could change the location of the Invert step, but you may have to change to Invert Selection and/or Threshold = 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Load the layer transparency as a selection. Enter Quick Mask mode. Image > Adjustments > Threshold [set to zero].  Exit Quick Mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, Semaphoric, I'm not sure if you didn't understand me, or I'm not understanding you. I want to select all the transparent pixels in a document (multiple layers in a document), not a layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wasn't at the computer before, so I couldn't check, but this seems to work (you can make a Action of it):

1. With all layers visible, Stamp Visible (Control+Alt+Shift+E)
  2. Select Transparency of the stamped layer
  3. Enter Quick Mask
  4. Invert
  5. Threshold = 255
  6. Exit Quick Mask
  7. [Optional] Delete the new layer.

You could change the location of the Invert step, but you may have to change to Invert Selection and/or Threshold = 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried exactly that, but I misunderstood something and thought it would not work. It does. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2021 May 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Any Chance this works on Mac? What would the related hotkeys be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines