• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Select and Mask doesn't have marquee tools?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2020 Feb 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm learning Select and Mask and I'm really puzzled; it looks like the marquee selection tools (e.g. rectangle, elliptical) are not available when in Select and Mask. Am I not seeing something here? Why are they not present? 

Why I care: I like the overlay view mode to make it easier to see what's selected. I need to adjust a few pixels. Single pixels in some places; rows/columns in others, circles in other places. Using the marquee tools seems to make it really easy to make precise edits to the selection.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it doesn't have those tools. The select and mask was designed to "quickly" make and refine selections that might have hard to select areas like hair. If you are going in and using the marquee tool to make precise selections, the I would suggest you use the tool either after or before you use the mask and select. Frankly, most of the time, I get frustrated with mask and select and use other methods like channel pulling or just going in with the pen tool, or polygon lasso tool to make my selections. I guess some people love the feature and it's good for some things, but not all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It used to be called "refine edge" and that's a better description of what it actually does. The implication is that the selection already exists, made elsewhere. An addition to the existing tools, not the primary selection tool.

I can see why it would make sense to collect all the selection tools in one place. But keep in mind that almost everything in Photoshop is a selection tool of some sort, right down to the pen tool and the text tool. Selection and masking is a very big part of any normal workflow - so in effect that would almost become a Photoshop inside Photoshop. Maybe that's where it's headed eventually, like an ACR of masking.

If you need to use marquee tools to adjust a finished selection that can easily be done either in Quick Mask mode, or by turning on the mask channel so that you get the rubylith overlay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines