Select and mask results are pixelated

New Here ,
Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know why my selections are pixelated, instead of smooth? These images are not super hi res, but the same thing happens regardless of the resolution.

Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 8.25.09 PM.png

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Select and mask results are pixelated

New Here ,
Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know why my selections are pixelated, instead of smooth? These images are not super hi res, but the same thing happens regardless of the resolution.

Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 8.25.09 PM.png

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 03, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. If you're using Quick Select to make the selection in the dialog box, know that the Quick select tool has a VERY soft brush by default, so your edges will soften. THIS looks more like a brush using the Dissolve blending mode was used. I recommend checking the brush used for your selection, and looking at the selection preview before committing the selection.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 04, 2020 1
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for your suggestion! I ended up re-installing Photoshop, and everything seems to be working properly now...although if it happens again, I'll definitely check the brush type. 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 04, 2020 0
jane-e LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Stephanie nailed it here. Can you test by changing the Blending mode for the Brush to Dissove in the options bar and try for testing purposes (followed by Undo)?

Also, here are the shortcuts for changing Blending modes. You may have accidentally hit one of these:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/default-keyboard-shortcuts.html

Result

Windows

macOS

Cycle through blending modes

Shift + + (plus) or – (minus)

Shift + + (plus) or – (minus)

Normal

Shift + Alt + N

Shift + Option + N

Dissolve

Shift + Alt + I

Shift + Option + I

~Jane

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 04, 2020 0