• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Select and Mask Tool Still Broken Photoshop CC 2017

Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2017 Jul 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem was fixed for awhile, but now it came back along with a new problem.

First off, the select and mask tool is not working again. When I try to refine an edge it does nothing. When I use the brush tool and paint over something the loading symbol comes up, but no changes take place.

I tried resetting tools, installing and reinstalling (which caused a major problem and I had to reset my pc), updating Photoshop and tried resetting preferences, which is where a new problem has shown up. Photoshop won't reset my preferences. I quit and open it back up, but all my customized settings are still there!

I'm so fed up and desperate. I don't know what to do or where to begin. Searching has gotten me nowhere.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me.

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 01, 2017 Aug 01, 2017

Yes, of course... Start with a chkdsk from the prompt command to control and eventually repair the HD of your PC...

Then you can start with a BOOT CD like AVG RESCUE CD or similar, update the virus definition and check and repair the PC.

Then you can install Hitman pro (demo version) and check for a second opinion antivirus.

Tell us if it helps

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2017 Jul 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, what happens if youttried to reset Photoshop Preferences?

hold down Alt, Ctrl, and Shift keys (Mac: Command, Option, Shift) while starting up Photoshop.

A dialog box will appear asking if you wish to delete the preferences/settings file.

Does the Dialog box appears?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help.

No, it didn't show up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try to use this tool first:

Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

then re-download a fresh copy of photoshop and reinstall...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did that before and the cleaner's log says it failed to find certain folders and didn't work. The uninstall/reinstall also caused a huge problem with an expired trial pop-up that resulted in me having to reset my entire pc. I'm too afraid to risk it again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2017 Jul 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems you have a problem with your PC...

Have you tried to launch antivirus or system reparing software?

At least chkdsk command?

If the PC has a problem, and the uninstall/reinstall logs give you errors, you cannot resolve not even the Adobe related issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 30, 2017 Jul 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may not be his PC. I am experiencing the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2017 Jul 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think so but.

"The uninstall/reinstall also caused a huge problem with an expired trial pop-up that resulted in me having to reset my entire pc"

and

"hold down Alt, Ctrl, and Shift keys (Mac: Command, Option, Shift) while starting up Photoshop.

A dialog box doens,t appear..."

are not  normal behaviuors...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please check your PC healthy, then:

restart PC

Please try to use this tool first:

Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

restart PC

then re-download a fresh copy of photoshop and reinstall...

And please in case of any errors tell us wich step cause you a problem and describe it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for all your help.

I'll have to think about it and if I do it it might take me a couple days because I need the computer for school and I don't want to reset at this time (if I have to again).

I really hope it's not my pc because I just got a few months ago and I would be quite devasted if it was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know of any free programs that will check my pc's health btw?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2017 Aug 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, of course... Start with a chkdsk from the prompt command to control and eventually repair the HD of your PC...

Then you can start with a BOOT CD like AVG RESCUE CD or similar, update the virus definition and check and repair the PC.

Then you can install Hitman pro (demo version) and check for a second opinion antivirus.

Tell us if it helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2017 Aug 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANK YOU.

It was a virus or something and Spybot and Hitman Pro got it all!!! The tool is working fine now. I just hope it stays that way. I can't thank you enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 12, 2017 Aug 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. Just to give you my experience. I was using an AMD Radeon 5700 Graphics card, and began experiencing problems with Select and Mast from recent Photoshop updates. I was using the latest driver and according to Adobe this card is supported. My experience is that it doesn't work with Photoshop.

I installed an Asus NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 and now Photoshop works well in Select and Mask.

The only change was the graphics card. So when Select and Mask appears broken, perhaps it is just down to lack of support for the card.

I'm not an expert, but this is my experience. Hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines