• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Select and Mask view background (Photoshop 2020)

Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I select a white flower from a black background using the quick selection tool.

I create a layer mask, and with this selected I go to the "Select and Mask" tool.

Rather than "Onion Skin" I want to view the selection on a white background so I can easily identify the black edges that have been left from the background of the original image.

However, when I view it "On White" any opacity to the white background covers everything including the white flower that I had selected.

This is also the same when selecting a black background on the view for "Select and Mask"

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Unless you're trying to illustrate something, your mask density should be at 100%; Select and Mask works in tandem with the grayscale values set beforehand so if you have a mask that isn't 100% black, it's going to reflect that in Select and Mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Just checked and it's working as expected with Photoshop version 21.2.4 for me, can you post a screenshot to highlight the issue you have

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leo5E28_0-1602173089490.png

Leo5E28_1-1602173108791.png

The first image is with the opacity of the background at 0%. The second image the opacity is about 90%. Sorry if its obvious, I'm very new to Photoshop!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's hard to see on the screenshots you provided but something doesn't look right about how you masked out the flower

2020-10-08 17_11_38-.png

It should look like this

2020-10-08 17_19_49-.png

0% opacity

2020-10-08 17_12_58-black-and-white-flower-background-3.jpg @ 66.7% (Layer 0, Layer Mask_8) _.png

100% opacity

2020-10-08 17_16_46-black-and-white-flower-background-3.jpg @ 66.7% (Layer 0, Layer Mask_8) _.png

Can you post a screenshot with the layers panel opened

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leo5E28_0-1602175942227.png

I tried the same process but selected using the lasso tool, and the same thing happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you're trying to illustrate something, your mask density should be at 100%; Select and Mask works in tandem with the grayscale values set beforehand so if you have a mask that isn't 100% black, it's going to reflect that in Select and Mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your help Ged

I have sorted this now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines