• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Select continuous layers in building ATNs without using layer panel?

Engaged ,
Feb 09, 2019 Feb 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do one select continuous layers in building ATNs without using layer panel?  Normally to select a continuous set of layers, I select the first layer by a click then select the ending one by Shift-click which actually selects the layers inclusive of the first and ending for a continuous gathering.

But I prefer to not use the layer panel but use MOVE and do the selections by clicking on the actual image Ctrl-click and choosing from the list that appears.  Ctrl-Click works to get the first layer.  I would expect to be able to select the ending label by doing Shift-click on the image and choose from the list or maybe click on the image and Shift-click on layer on list.  These select the ending layer but do not select those layers between first and ending.

Do I have problem with my version of PS 20.2?  Or is this a common problem?  Seems the MOVE method is broken and Google is no help.

I appreciate you help.

RONC

This article does not mention the continuous selection at all.  Select, group, and link layers in Photoshop

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure what means in ATNs. You can add to selection when using right-click context menu / Move tool + click on content but you cannot add range of layers. That is my guess what you want t ask.

Continuous selection you can do using keyboard shortcuts: Alt/Opt + Shift + ] or [. Another way is to select bottom most layer then press Alt/Opt + Shift + . (period). To go in opposite direction press Alt/opt + Shift + , (comma).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bojans,

Thanks for your response.

ATNs are Actions.  I use Actions to jumpstart an Extendscript development.

Right-click context menu / Move tool + right click on content but cannot add range of layers is the problem.  In normal selection of layers, I can left-click on start then shift-left-click.  Another place where consistency is lacking. The keyboard shortcuts action is the same as selecting with mouse.   Any choice that acts like directly click in the layer panel is not useful for going to Javascript as AM is hardwired not tied to layer name or number.

Thanks,

RONC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, here is my tutorial on topic why and how to use keyboard shortcuts which includes layer selection using shortcuts https://www.designeasy.co/2018/12/why-and-how-to-use-keyboard-shortcuts.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bojan,

Thanks for the tutorial.  I think you have shown how for me to build the action but I still think Adobe is making their software less consistent in how things work.  I would like to have MOVE Shift-left-click work as it does in HAND.  At now MOVE Shift or Ctrl left click to the same thing and that sounds like a programming error to me.

Really appreciate your help.

RONC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines