• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Select Red channel as Red layer (etc Green, Blue)?

Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2019 Aug 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry for the n00b question. Cannot work this out nor find an answer on Youtube or Google.

How do I take the Red channel of an image and convert it to a layer that where the Red channel only is rendered as a Red/Black image rather than greyscale? (etc for Blue and Green).

There's a trick I did with GIMP years ago to combine 3 aligned photos with moving water where I take the Red from one, Green from another and Blue from the 3rd and merge them back into a single RGB image with psychedelic effects in the moving water but the static parts look normal.

It's not serious - just a bit of fun to help me understand PS better

Cheers,

Tim

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 18, 2019 Aug 18, 2019

layerBlendIfSettings.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the Blend if-Settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

layerBlendIfSettings.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool - that's exactly the effect I managed with GIMP.

Thanks very much for helping a PS n00b

I can go on from there and try different things now (eg working on the water area without getting the RGB effects on the people on the bridge). It was simpler than I thought but i would not have found that option without your help.

Cheers! Tim

P1100372-Edit.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can go on from there and try different things now (eg working on the water area without getting the RGB effects on the people on the bridge).

You could duplicate one of the Layers, sett it to affect all three Channels again, apply a Layer Mask (Layer > Layer > Mask > Hide All) and then paint with white on the Layer Mask where you want that Layer to show.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Cool - that sounds like a very useful generic skill. Thanks

I'm all about LightRoom right now, so have only just started trying to get into PS ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines