• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Select Subject causes instant reboot on stable system

Explorer ,
Oct 02, 2020 Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I press Select Subject in the Select and Mask option of Photoshop 21.2.4, my PC instantly reboots no warning.  Like a hardware reset.  The system is stable, ram is fine, power supply is 1600W, it's not a hardware issue it appears to be some sort of BIOS thing perhaps.

I am using an NVidia RTX 2080ti video card, I have the latest drivers.  No other instability in the sytem.  Not with games or other software.  BUt I get an INSTANT hardware reboot when I choose Select Subject.

Does anyone know what's causing this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're sorry for the trouble you're seeing with Photoshop. Could you please turn off the Graphics from the Photoshop preferences and check if that prevents the instant reboot? Go to Photoshop > Preferences > Performance tab > Uncheck the Graphics Processor > restart Photoshop.

Let us know the status.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I unchecked Graphics Processor in the performance tab.  Exited Photoshop.  Restarted photoshop.  as soon as I pressed Select Subject, instant hardware reboot.  No warning.

I disabled Hyper Threading in the BIOS, no change, still instant crash.

So disabling GPU had no effect, disable hyper threading in bios had no effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Not having any issue with an RTX2060 super, select subject works fine, have you checked Windows event viewer to see if there's any errors relating to Photoshop.exe in the application log.

Hard reboots are normally either hardware related or buggy drivers, do you use the Nvidia Studio driver or the Game Ready

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried the latest studio and game ready drivers.  No difference.  I think its bios related.  Its been noted by other people as well.  Its not memory or hardware related I am 100% sure.  I may try and update my BIOS but this has been reported to Adobe several times in the past couple of years.  A number of people have this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated my Motherboard BIOS to the latest version, loaded the defaults and the problem went away.  It's somehow BIOS related.  I used ASUS TPU to overclock after I did that and it's still stable.  Something was wrong in the old BIOS or maybe old Microcode in the CPU that was causing this.  The new BIOS had new microcode for the CPU as well.

Anyways updating the BIOS and letting the Asus BIOS do the automatic overclocking fixed this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Woah... this has to be frustrating.

Are you able to get into Select and Mask to at least continue working?

You may have already tried this, but what happens if you roll back to the previous driver?

Have you gone through everything in the troubleshooting steps?

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-troubleshooting.html

If you have the recourses to do it, it's probably worth doing a clean install of Windows and Photoshop to see if you can reproduce the issue.    Of course, that's easier said than done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It was BIOS related.  Updating the Motherboard BIOS fixed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines