• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Selecting dots with specific radius - Photoshop

Engaged ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an black/white CMYK image. Is it possible (with a script or using some of PS options) to select only white dots which are eqal to or below  for example 2px and make them black? Thanks in advance

Screenshot 2020-08-07 at 21.44.37.png

{Thread renamed by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

I quickly knocked together an action to help list the steps... I didn't make the action pretty or optimise the steps:

steps.png

Min 2, Max 2, Select All, Set layer to Difference, Copy Merged, Paste, Set selection to RGB channel, Delete this temp layer... Then do something with the selection.

And here is the result to compare to your original image:

filtered.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Could you please try using the color range feature in Photoshop and let us know if you're able to select the white part?
You can check this for more information: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/photoshop/using/selecting-color-range-image.html

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, with color range I successfully select white areas, but i can not defined selection on a dots which are 2px in radius, like I mentioned in question description.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Filter > Noise > Dust & Scratches

Set the Radius to whatever value you like.

capture.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 09, 2020 Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you looking to do?

Is selecting the smaller dots just a means to an end to remove them? If so, Michael Bullo's reply will do that, however, it will also affect the larger dots to some extent.

If you just wish to make a selection without affecting the larger dots, this is possible with some filtering and blending to manually create a pixel size threshold.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I'm interested in the second part of your answer, can you help me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I quickly knocked together an action to help list the steps... I didn't make the action pretty or optimise the steps:

steps.png

Min 2, Max 2, Select All, Set layer to Difference, Copy Merged, Paste, Set selection to RGB channel, Delete this temp layer... Then do something with the selection.

And here is the result to compare to your original image:

filtered.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I'm giving up, I'll mark your answer as correct, because it definitely is. I got lost at the end, I can't recognize which filters you used and why you save the file as a index. Thanks for the idea...

P.S. If you have mercy, let's enlighten me how to finish this story 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Semaphoric-PLXibM mentioned, Filter/Other/Minimum and Maximum. The uploaded sample being indexed was just a result of the export, it has nothing to do with the method of selecting the dots.

I'll post a link to the action.

EDIT - Here it is:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ro7eitr09xespio/Select%20Dots%20Demo.atn?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Filter > Other > Minimum might be a start, but it would make all the white two pixels smaller, so it'd have to be part of a larger process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem that you mentioned, minimum filter breaks this part that is colored red and fill it. I dont know how to leave this unique part unchanged, can you help me?

Screenshot 2020-11-16 at 13.44.34.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 13, 2021 Oct 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Stephen_A_Marsh do you have solution for this issue, or I exaggerated? 😄 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried with dust filter earlier but i am not sure that is 100% percent precise, and yes, I dont want to affect on larger dots than 2px radius, is it possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines