Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Selecting multiple layers using the marquee/lasso tool? Photoshop

New Here ,
Jul 22, 2019 Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

So, let's say I have a Photoshop file with over 50 layers.

In the current Layer Comp, only 20 layers are visible - but they are scattered in different areas (10 in the center, 4 to the right; 6 to the left)

My question is: using the above scenario, I would like a quick method to select the 10 layers in the center, without having to select them in the layers panel.

I thought, if I could just use a lasso/ marquee tool to quickly select those layers in the center, it would be a lot quicker.

Does anyone know of a way to do what I'm asking, without having to use the layers panel, or individually clicking each one.

Thanks in advance.

(Also, I'm aware the marquee/lasso tool may not be the correct tool to use for this purpose, so if you know which tool to use, please say so)

{Thread modified by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Javes,

Selecting multiple layers on the Canvas is not possible in Photoshop as of now, however, if you want to select everything, simply select the top layer, hold shift and select the bottom layer in Layers panel.

There is also an option in Select menu called "Select all layers" for this.

If you want to select layers directly on the canvas, turn on Auto-select (visible on the top right part of Photoshop when Move tool is used).

You may suggest feature requests for Photoshop here: Photoshop Family Customer Community This forum is monitored by our developers and engineers and they might look into it for future releases.

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, did you try to use the Move tool, and drag around the layers you want?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2023 Nov 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is the solution for me, thank you!  I did it by accident and couldn't figure out how to do it again 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Javes  wrote

My question is: using the above scenario, I would like a quick method to select the 10 layers in the center, without having to select them in the layers panel.

Since a lasso/marquee select isn't possible, try this:

1. Select the Selection tool.
  2. In the options bar, enable Auto Select, and set it to Layer.
  3. With the Selection tool, in the document click the first layer you want to select.
  4. Hold down Shift as you click in the document to add other layers to the selection.

When doing it this way, it's best to keep an eye on the Layers panel to make sure the right layers are getting selected, in case a stray click adds an unwanted layer to the selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Conrad's appraoch works well when elements are on separate layers and none of them overlap.

Overlapping layers are a bit trickier to select but it's doable. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, I didn't mention what to do there. It is tricky.

When you want to use Auto Select to grab a layer that's behind another, you can right-click the top one and a context menu pops up with the names of all the layers under the pointer. You can then select the name of the layer you want to select in the document.

I just tested this and it does work with the Shift key, so if you have several layers already selected and you need to add one more that's hard to select because it's overlapped by another, hold down Shift, right-click the layer stack in the document, and select the layer name you want. Because Shift was held down, that layer will be added to the selection.

If you don't hold down Shift, only the layer name you chose gets selected.

Naturally, this works best when layers are named so that they're easy to recognize by name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But, Conrad, I don't get it... a marquee is possible: with autoselect and the move tool, click and drag around the layers you want, hold shift to add another area...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, did you try to use the Move tool, and click drag around the layers you want (if auto select is on, or CTRL+drag is it is not)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works fine!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines