Selection Missing When Moved Off of Canvas?

New Here ,
Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I just wanna know if this was always a feature in Photoshop, because I'm struggling to remember if it was. Whenever I make a selection and move it even slightly off canvas, the section that is off is suddenly cut away. So if something is wholly removed off canvas, it just vanishes! Again, I'm not sure if it always was like this, I only really noticed it about a week ago. I just want some confirmation, and if it's a bug– how to fix it.

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Selection Missing When Moved Off of Canvas?

New Here ,
Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I just wanna know if this was always a feature in Photoshop, because I'm struggling to remember if it was. Whenever I make a selection and move it even slightly off canvas, the section that is off is suddenly cut away. So if something is wholly removed off canvas, it just vanishes! Again, I'm not sure if it always was like this, I only really noticed it about a week ago. I just want some confirmation, and if it's a bug– how to fix it.

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 17, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using a Mac? I do not see a problem like that on a Windows PC. I can lose content when I move a selection of a layer and overlap layer content. The overlap replaces content and the moved content creates holes. Moving  selected area off canvas and deselecting seems to  crop the layers off layer content to preserve the layers transparency.  I do not know if the a changed behavior.  I'll test. 

Edit: I just tested Photoshop 2020 and Photoshop CS6 they treat raster layer the same way as Photoshop 2021.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 18, 2020 0
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a Mac. And I understand that when moving a selection on top of itself would override what was underneath. But what I'm talking about, is when using the selection tool on something and moving it off canvas, it causes whatever was moved off canvas to be deleted.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 18, 2020 0
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait, I think I understand what you're saying. So this isn't something new? If so, then huh....I could've sworn it was.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 18, 2020 0