Highlighted

Shift to constrain proportion no longer works

New Here ,
Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So today my Photoshop updated through the CC. My previous version, I had the mod to have the old style way of constraining proportions when transforming. Holding shift. I did it by creating that PSUserConfig txt file. With the latest update, that no longer works.

Is there another way to get the old way of transforming back?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by jane-e | Adobe Community Professional

pyj515  wrote

In 20.0.5 you can enable Use Legacy Free Transform from Preferences > General to get the old way of transforming back.

~ Jane

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Shift to constrain proportion no longer works

New Here ,
Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So today my Photoshop updated through the CC. My previous version, I had the mod to have the old style way of constraining proportions when transforming. Holding shift. I did it by creating that PSUserConfig txt file. With the latest update, that no longer works.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by jane-e | Adobe Community Professional

pyj515  wrote

In 20.0.5 you can enable Use Legacy Free Transform from Preferences > General to get the old way of transforming back.

~ Jane

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 19, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pyj515  wrote

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 19, 2019 2
Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear courtneyw98665068 this change is introduced for new users to give them easy to make changes i understand little bad feeling for old users but take it as positive change we all here to help you.

Regards.

Ali Sajjad

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 19, 2019 1
Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi check following video it works for all new versions be happy.

Hate The New Free Transform Tool in Photoshop CC 2019? FIX IT Easily!    - YouTube

Ali Sajjad

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 19, 2019 0
Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lambiloon  wrote

Hi check following video

Hi Ali,

I looked at the video and it is for 20.0.1. Version 20.0.5 released on 17 June 2019 now has the ability to revert to the old behavior in Preferences > General.

~ Jane

119AE1DD-239B-46D8-96D5-FB9422EFCE75.jpeg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 19, 2019 0
Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Respected Jane i know i just found that video useful that is why i shared also sometime users not want to update more so may be that will be helpful also.

Regrads

Ali Sajjad

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 19, 2019 0
Participant ,
Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I will not take it as a "positive" change just because you say so, it is not! its nothing but a slap in the face for people who have been using this software for any decent amount of time. NEW USERS need to get used to the interface regardless, old users should NOT have to change the way they have been working for a decade or 2. Besides, you silly attempt at explaining this nonsense does nothing to address the fact that vector graphics still require you to hold down shift to constrain the proportions, how does 2 different methods of transformations in the same program help anyone, especially new users? IT DOESNT.

"These changes are here to help you" what a condescending, ignorant statement.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 19, 2019 0
Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you installed the new version 20.0.5 yet?

Check the Use Legacy Free Transform box in Preferences > General and you're back to the old familiar way of working.

Yes, in my view, Adobe made a mistake with pushing this change with no easy recourse to legacy behavior for users who prefer the old way. Based on their data analytics of software usage, they thought it was a minor tweak and veterans would eventually embrace it. They were wrong. They may have learned a lesson from it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 19, 2019 0
Participant ,
Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if they had learnt their lesson they would have undone this change, not reset the preferences when people update their software. they dont care about their paying customers, to them we are nothing but beta testers who pay for the privilege. thanks for the reply.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 20, 2019 0
Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a different view. I think they care deeply and are doing their best to give us software which caters for millions of users. However, their data may sometimes be giving them skewed feedback.

They are immersed in daily data on how users use their software. Which mouse clicks we use. How we use each feature. They read this one wrong for long term users. They have now given us a simple tool to reset it. I'll tick the box and move on.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 20, 2019 1
Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 20, 2019 3
Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to feel for the Photoshop Development Team.  I think they did score an own goal with the FT Shift key change, but that was half a year ago.  They try to make people happy with the legacy option in Preferences, and people are still spitting blood.

Jim tells us there are now 15 million CC subscribers, and I doubt more than a tiny percentage won't have Photoshop, so Adobe can't be getting it that wrong.  We see so many posts from people who basically don't like change, which leaves you wondering why they click on the Update button.  Yesterday's was from a poster who doesn't like committing an FT or Type layer by clicking away from it, but that is a genius change.  No more looking up to the Options bar and hitting that tiny OK icon.  Just swing that cursor and click anywhere.  It is so much faster, and I love it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 20, 2019 0
BMcCarty LATEST
Explorer ,
Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bad move on Adobe's part

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 28, 2020 0