Highlighted

Should I Upgrade My Laptop?

New Here ,
Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking for opions and constructive suggestions. I'm sure this question has been asked many times, but I could not find the answers I was looking for on searching the community forum. So here goes.

I'm currently running PS and LR on my Lenovo laptop (desktop is not an option for me for various reasons, and I understand the tradeoff). And yes, I'm comitted to the Windows environment. I do not do any video editing and I'm not into gaming.

The current Lenovo config is as follows:

CPU:Intel i78650 8th gen 4 core 8 threads 8M cache 1.90 ghz

Mem: 16 GB RAM

HDD: 1TB SSD

I have an option to upgrade to a new laptop with the following specs:

CPU: Intel i7 10750 10th gen 6 core ?threads 12M cache 5 ghz

Mem 32 GB RAM

HDD 1 TB SSD

Upgrading to a new machine is a bit of a PIA. My current machine is running well, but I do note a lag when editing. Would an upgrade to the new gen CPU  and an extra 16 GB RAM make a noticable difference in performance when using LR, PS and other editing software?

Thanks for your input  

TOPICS
Performance, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Should I Upgrade My Laptop?

New Here ,
Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking for opions and constructive suggestions. I'm sure this question has been asked many times, but I could not find the answers I was looking for on searching the community forum. So here goes.

I'm currently running PS and LR on my Lenovo laptop (desktop is not an option for me for various reasons, and I understand the tradeoff). And yes, I'm comitted to the Windows environment. I do not do any video editing and I'm not into gaming.

The current Lenovo config is as follows:

CPU:Intel i78650 8th gen 4 core 8 threads 8M cache 1.90 ghz

Mem: 16 GB RAM

HDD: 1TB SSD

I have an option to upgrade to a new laptop with the following specs:

CPU: Intel i7 10750 10th gen 6 core ?threads 12M cache 5 ghz

Mem 32 GB RAM

HDD 1 TB SSD

Upgrading to a new machine is a bit of a PIA. My current machine is running well, but I do note a lag when editing. Would an upgrade to the new gen CPU  and an extra 16 GB RAM make a noticable difference in performance when using LR, PS and other editing software?

Thanks for your input  

TOPICS
Performance, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 04, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

It really depends on how large your files are and what exactly you're doing in Photoshop, your current system should be well capable of running Photoshop, Photoshop version 21.2.2 is pretty buggy and a lot of people are having issues with lag among other issues. I don't use Lightroom so can't comment on that.

Have you tried installing 2019 to see if your still having issues with lagging.

I have an older Intel i7 3770k PC with 32 GB of RAM and a 500 GB SSD and tend to use 2019 more than 2020 because of the bugs in the latest version.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 04, 2020 0
Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All things being equal, you will see improved performance with a faster CPU.  And 32GB of RAM is definitely better than what you have now.  I don't see any upside in staying where you are.  Go for it!  Get the better box.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 04, 2020 2
Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Nancy but I have to disagree, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the CPU the op currently has, as I mentioned I have a Intel i7 3770k released in 2013 and Photoshop 2019 runs perfectly fine with that, the issue with lag is down to Photoshop version 2020 and there has been many comments about it on the forum, especially with MAC users with higher spec systems. Photoshop 2019 runs perfectly fine on my PC whereas Photoshop 2020 is buggy as hell.

16 GB of RAM is quite sufficent for running Photoshop with normal use, unless you're processing extremely large images.

I seriously doubt the op will noticed any improvement with upgrading the CPU and RAM with Photoshop 2020 in it's current form.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 04, 2020 0
Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said, all things being equal.  A better computer is a better computer.  In my experience, there's a world of difference between 16GB and 32GB of RAM.  Also 1.90GhZ is slower than 5GHz no matter how you slice it.  BTW, I'm still using Photoshop 2019, too.  But that's another issue. This question is not Photoshop 2020 vs 2019.  It's one computer vs a better one.  I always prefer the better one. 

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 04, 2020 1
Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.90 GhZ is the base speed for that processor, it also has a turbo frequency of 4.20 GHz.

As I said I don't think the upgrade will improve with the lag in Photoshop version 21.2.2, I hope the op can prove me wrong, I use that version a quite a lot and always find myself reverting back to version 2019 because of the issues with 2020, so yes it is about 2019 vs 2020, 2019 is much better performance wise and is much more stable.

Don't get me wrong upgrades are always a good thing but they can't fix buggy software.

In relation to RAM usage, in general working on the average image in Photoshop with multiple layers and smart objects Photoshop will more than likely use about 4 to 6 GB of RAM, unless you have many times more layers and smart objects than that how is 32 GB going to make any difference.

I've worked on 1 GB files and Photoshop never used more than 8 GB of RAM

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 04, 2020 0
Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Future operating systems and software are going to tax your present rig, and my way of thinking is to upgrade before it gets bad and you have to. That gives you time to plan ahead, especially migrating data.

My precaution is to deactivate any licensed software if you want to activate it on the new rig. Some only allow for one machine  as with the Pantone Color Manager. Password managers keep track of your passwords, LastPass being my favorite because it networks anywhere and autofills in most cases speeding the transition.

And you need not junk the old rig. Use it as a backup and for software testing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 04, 2020 2
Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you getting lags in both Lr and Ps?

Your specs are absolutely fine so it makes me think it's the hardware working together. I'm on a 3 year old Surface Pro with older processor than yours and my Surface Pro is super fast (maybe except Lr sometimes but that happens with Lr, it gets slower and slower with every new version). I have no problems with Ps at all.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 04, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for excellent replies.  I knew I came to the correct place!

Moving to a new laptop is truly a PIA and would do so if it would more likely than not help. It's sounding so far like it won't. 

I definitely appreciate that I can stave off future problems if I upgrade now, but a later upgrade could get me more bang for the buck 

I have not tweaked settings in LR or PS to try and optimize the software on my laptop.  I saw info on the internet about doing that. So if you guys/gals have suggestions on that, bring it on. 

thanks again 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 04, 2020 0
Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 04, 2020 0
Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"...but a later upgrade could get me more bang for the buck."

You could drive yourself crazy playing that game.  I don't expect a computer to hold its value very long.  It just needs to handle the workload. If your current set-up can do that, fine. 

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 04, 2020 0