• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Simple Mask from File

New Here ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I'm just a week into my PhotoShop experience, so excuse the simplicity of my question. In short, I'm trying to create a clipping mask using a mask file that I downloaded. When I apply the mask, nothing happens...in other words, the top image (which in my case is basically just a blue pattern) remains. I turned off the layer visibility of that blue layer on my screen shot, so you can see the masking file I'm working with as I suspect that is where I'm not doing something right. Please help a newbie out! 🙂

Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 11.24.10 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The »masking« Layer does not appear to have transparency, so Clipping Masking to it should have no meaningful effect. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setting the other Layer’s Blending Mode to »Multiply« may achieve what you want to achieve here. 

Another option would be loading the »masking« Layer’s opacity as a Selection and using thet as a Layer Mask. 

Yet another option would be using Blend if-settings (by alt-click-dragging one can split the blend if-handles) and a Group. 

Screenshot 2020-03-24 at 17.50.52.png

And I am not saying thaose are all the options … 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to what c_pfaff said, use a blend mode on that "mask", specifically, "Multiply." The white should punch right out and reveal whatever's underneath in the layer stack.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These seem to make sense, but I think I need a little more step by step. For example, I can't find multiply and I'm not sure how to mask using the layer's opacity. Can you guys give a few more steps to get me there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

layerBlendModeMultiply.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To load a Layer’s opacity cmd-click its icon in the Layers Panel. 

To load its luminance (hide the other Layers and) cmd-click the composite channel icon in the Channels Panel. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can also mask bottom layer. See animation below, what you can not see is that I am holding Ctrl key while clicking on RGB channel to load selection from which is later created layer mask by clicking on third icon from the left in the Layers panel.

Untitled-1.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines