• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Simultaneously erasing from one layer mask while brushing into another?

Engaged ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this possible. While I'm colorizing B&W images I first use the Nearal Filter to automatically colorize. After have an action that creats me many solid color layers with layer masks filled with black so they need to be brushed into where I want that color. The Nearal colorization filter always needs to be adjusted to some degree, removing from certain areas what it has done but while I remove, I'd like to be at the same time colorizing that same area with the color I want. So...I need to earase from the Nearal filter mask while at the same time be brushing into the color I want to replace that area with.

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

»I'm not sure though how this achieves being able to erase from one layer by simultaniously brushing into another.«

It makes erasing unnecessary in that the top layer combo simply covers the underlying ones, so le lower one’s Layer Mask does not matter in the same way as otherwise. 

See the brownish combo’s Mask in relation to the bloe one’s. 

»Are there advantages to using a color film layer«

If one has to increase the Canvas for some reason Solid Color Layers simply fill the »new« space, whe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. 

Potential work-arounds would likely not provide the convenience you imagine, but could you provide one of the layerd images? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks C.pfaffenbichler

How do I do that...can I attach a layered image here?  They're pretty huge but I can run my action on a small image sot you can see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this helpful?colorization layers.jpg

Layer 0 is the neural filtered version with an open mask. All the other layers are are closed masks. So what I'd like to do, is where the neural filter has done a poor job, is to erase from that layer at the same time brush into the layer of the color I want. This would be a huge time saver and I could do a better and faster job of it as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you should restructure the Layers, Clipping Mask the Color-Layers to instances of the image and Mask that. 

Screenshot 2021-05-23 at 13.19.11.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I'm not sure though how this achieves being able to erase from one layer by simultaniously brushing into another.

What you post here though brings another question to mind. Are there advantages to using a color film layer vs how I've been doing it...that is creating a layer, filling it with a color, setting the layer to "color" and adding a layer mask? To be honest, I wasn't aware this was an option until you posted your screen shot but I now see it in the layer style list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»I'm not sure though how this achieves being able to erase from one layer by simultaniously brushing into another.«

It makes erasing unnecessary in that the top layer combo simply covers the underlying ones, so le lower one’s Layer Mask does not matter in the same way as otherwise. 

See the brownish combo’s Mask in relation to the bloe one’s. 

»Are there advantages to using a color film layer«

If one has to increase the Canvas for some reason Solid Color Layers simply fill the »new« space, whereas filled pixel Layers and at the old canvas’ size. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks C.P.

I'm going to play with this some but it's going to take me getting hands on with it to fully understand. 

The workaround I've come up with for the time being is to erase from the layer mask on the A.I. neural filter colorized layer and then copy that mask into the color layer I want for that area and then invert the layer mask. After, if I have more colors I want to replace what the A,I. did, i "apply mask" to the A.I. layer and create a new open mask and repeat.  

Your way might be better though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with inverted Masks is that the areas of partial application can lead to a mixture of background/layer1/layer2. 

Screenshot 2021-05-27 at 08.15.31.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks C.P.

That's super interesting and something I'll keep in mind but for the fuzzy application of color that is utilized in quick colorizing, it won't be an issue. 

What you show here, looks like a bit of a Photoshop bug. Perhaps there needs to be some algorithm applied to the inversion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that’s not a bug, that’s pretty much just Math. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Reminds me of when I used to teach optical movie film printing...the difference between a log and a linear dissolve...yep...simply math.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines