Since Photoshop 2021, the first document I create or open takes a long time to open

New Here ,
Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I load up Photoshop 2021 - whether it's the first time or last time since booting up my computer - it takes a good 20 seconds to load the document or blank workspace after either selecting the coument I want to open or after clicking "Create" once I have set the new blank document settings. I never had this problem before, and not sure why this is the case.

Does anyone else have this problem? Anyone from Adobe have a reason as to why this may occur or any suggestions on how to stop this?

TOPICS
Performance, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Since Photoshop 2021, the first document I create or open takes a long time to open

New Here ,
Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I load up Photoshop 2021 - whether it's the first time or last time since booting up my computer - it takes a good 20 seconds to load the document or blank workspace after either selecting the coument I want to open or after clicking "Create" once I have set the new blank document settings. I never had this problem before, and not sure why this is the case.

Does anyone else have this problem? Anyone from Adobe have a reason as to why this may occur or any suggestions on how to stop this?

TOPICS
Performance, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 26, 2020 0
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. It also happens when I "open with" and no documents are open in PS 2021. I almost want to leave it up and minimized at this point because it is very annoying.

Once the first one is open, it's as responsive as 2020. If it isn't fixed soon, I'm downgrading.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 07, 2020 0
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind. It happens in 2020 now too. Maybe Microsoft goofed up something in Windows. Maybe it's in the preferences somewhere.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 07, 2020 0
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem appears to be in the "performance" tab of preferences. If you click on it, it takes a similar amount of time to bring up the tab.

I have an Nvidia 1080 GTX. If I disable hardware processing the problem resolves. Unfortunately, I want hardware processing.

So I'm going to revert drivers until I get one that doesn't do this. I hope the PS staff reads this stuff. It seems there may be a problem with the 1080 GTX.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 07, 2020 0
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finished the work of backtracing this issue. The problem on my machine is Gsync. If I have Gsync active in windowed apps, Photoshop starts having the performance problem.

It appears to be driver related. The last known good Nvidia driver is 445.87. From 451.48 on up, the loading time for "open with," the wait time for the first new document, and even trying to access the performance tab in preferences is painfully slow.

I have an Acer ED273 Abidpx 27" monitor and an EVGA Nvidia 1080 GTX SC video card. I've alerted Nvidia to the driver issue.

Mitigations are to a) turn off hardware acceleration in Photoshop, b) turn off Gsync in windowed apps (allowing full screen apps to use Gsync), or c) shut down Gsync entirely.

For the above graphics hardware config, you can also downgrade the driver to 445.87, which doesn't have the problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 08, 2020 0
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to say a HUGE thank you for posting this!
I have lost dozens of hours trying to figure out what was causing this, and pretty much had to forget about using Photoshop which completely destroyed my creative output.
All because Gsync was enabled in windowed apps.  The moment it was unchecked, then everything worked perfectly. 
Really annoyed about this, but eternally grateful to you for posting the solution.  Can't thank you enough!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 15, 2020 0
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interestingly,. without realising, I've noticed that this isn't a problem any more. It's possible this was fixed in a Photoshop update, or because I recently replaced 2 rather old 24 inch HD monitors with a 32" 4k and a 27" QHD, but you'd expect this to make things worse, not better! I have a RTX 2080, so was quite surprised this was happening. I'm glad it's now fixed, but I'm afraid I have no more information about why it's finally working correctly. Hope you find a fix for yours.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 09, 2020 0