Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slow as molasses

Explorer ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

So Photoshop is UP TO DATE and I have a pretty good system but PS as of late is so slow.  I even have issues when I zoom in and I get a big black rectangle over part of my work.  I've tried switching out the scratch disks and all the tricks I know but I'm still experiencing bad slow downs with PS.  Not sure if I need to completely uninstall and reinstall PS at this point!  

If you have any suggestions as to what to try please let me know

Thanks so much,

Richard 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reset preferences. Try turning off use graphics processor in preferences. Close all other apps. Try rebooting you computer and then opening only PS. 

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Pluralsight Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice.  NOPE.  not working.  Worked a LITTLE BIT but really it's just really really slow.  I'm cussing at the slowness and I don't like being stressed out doing what I love doing.  Not sure if it's some bad code or what but perhaps Adobe should slow down with the new features and concentrate on keeping the program stable and running smoothly!  This is absurd!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I was reading a post earlier (link below) and the problem seemed to be linked to a G Sync monitor...do you by chance have a GSync monitor hooked up to your system?

If so, take a look at this post: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/2021-slow-and-laggy-p-o-s/m-p/11934127#M526252

If the link goes to the beginning, scroll (all the way) down to the end for more information.

The other option you might check is to see if your Graphics Processor card is compatible with the update: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html#DisableGraphicsProcessor

Let us know if either of these works or if you are still having the issue?

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to look for here.  So here are the GPU bits from the System Info from PS

The GPU Sniffer crashed on 3/30/2021 at 7:18:27 AM
------- GetVideoCardInformation
SufficientVideoMemForTextures: True.
DoesGPUSupportFeature( kGPUFeature_All 😞 True.
PSGLDocDrawingOSVersionTest: True.
IgnoreVideoMemRequirements: False.
NativeGPUAvailable: True.
OpenCLGPUAvailable: True.
OpenGLGPUAvailable: True.
GetAIFSharingContext: True.
SupportsOpenGL(): True.
gPreferences.GetPhotoshopCrashed(): False.
gpuE (disallowOpenGLWindows): False.
Display: 1
Display Bounds: top=0, left=0, bottom=1080, right=1920
Display: 2
Display Bounds: top=0, left=1920, bottom=1080, right=3840
OpenGL Drawing: Enabled.
OpenGL Allow Old GPUs: Not Detected.
OpenGL Drawing Mode: Advanced
OpenGL Allow Normal Mode: False.
OpenGL Allow Advanced Mode: False.
# Photoshop Version: 20210302.r.49 660cd2e
Building native platform & platform info strutcture
Native platform info successfully constructed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first line mentioned doesn't seem good to me. A crash when I start up PS!  Hmmmm 😞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a new NVIDIA driver so will see if that improves things.  I usually keep that up to date!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let us know if that fixes it or if you are still having the issue.

By the way, did you have a GSync monitor as part of your system?

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems better since the update but I've only been working on smaller files.  Not tested out how one of my larger files will work as of yet, just finished with a client, she's gone and finished up some small file work and now having lunch!  LOL  I'll let you know if the larger file (s) slow things up again, I'll keep the email notification in my Inbox so I don't forget!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems better now.  Thanks for the help!  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! Glad to hear that it is improving!

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experienced a huge difference in speed, whether you set your brush or stamp strokes to be smoothed or disable this. Check the settings out on the top menu bar...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to be more about the SIZE of my files.  It's not like I'm working in GIGABYTE sized files but some of them are larger.  

So I meant to come here yesterday when working in a larger file and yup the slow down happened again.  At one point it was 30 seconds before the UI became responsive again.  Saving out PNG files was also very very slow!  

So a little info.  I work in the cottage industry for Poser (used to work making stuff for Genesis 8 for DAZ Studio but that market was over saturted and too boring for me) so I make clothing in ZBrush and then make textures for the clothing in Photoshop.  SO you have one UV map you import, break apart to their own layers and then I do allot of fills that I've made to keep consistency.  This always leads to duplicating layers, creating more smart fills (Styles) and applying them to various layers.  After while it gets a little bogged down but not as badly as it's been this past month or so.  I've included a screen grab of a TankTop I was working on yesterday.  Notice the layers, there really are not allot of htem but it got pretty bad yesterday with the slowness!  

I have 4 drives that PS has auto mapped for Scratch Disk.  I have PLENTY of RAM and I have a i7 processor a really good, RTX 2070 NVIDIA graphics card with allot of built in RAM.  Yea, I don't have the latest and fastest processor but this is not an issue in any of the 3D programs I work in like ZBrush!  

So not sure what's going on!  

TShirtLayers.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having exactly the same issues. I'm not working on anything outrageously large, have a similar setup to you (same graphic cards) and the last few versions of Photoshop have been almost unusable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, so I just installed Photoshop 2019 and it's working so much quicker. I had to chat with tech support and ask them to send me a download link for the 2019 version of the app. You might want to try this as well? With 2019 version I can now do things like move a layer, undo an action, without Photoshop taking a minute or more to recover. If enough people do it, maybe they'll fix the bugs and lagging in 2020 and 2021 versions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 10, 2021 Apr 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just hate going backwards.  BUT if this keeps up I guess I'll have no choice.  Hopefully they are aware of this and are working on a solution!  

Thanks for your helpful posts Jessica!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any chance you could share the link or was it just for your personal use?  I'm about to pull my hair out from the lagging and am getting so far behind. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think Jessica just contacted Support for the link so you'll have to go that route.  I'm sure they will mention "do not share this" sort of line in the reply.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines