• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Smart object scale bug in Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been experiencing this bug in all version of CS so far. It hasn't been fixed by any update. When placing an .ai vector smart object in Photoshop the object gets automatically distorted. Instead of placing at 100% on both horizontal and vertical axes it gets randomly distorted. This is a serious issue when using logos or other branding artwork where it's critical for it to be in proportion. I've also noticed that if I delete an element from the .ai file the smart object distorts even more severely once it updates, even though the artboard is unchanged and the outermost edges of vector art are also identical. Does anyone have a fix for this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

See it the same distortion happens if you open the AI files with Photoshop.  Though Photoshop does not support editing AI file Photoshop can import AI file as a raster Pixel Layer.  I believe that is what Place does creating AI vector smart objects. It imports the AI file a as a correctly sized pixel layer.  That transforming a vector smart object just re-imports the file sized differently. If the file is imported with the same distortion as your smart object its at problem in Photoshop Import c

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See it the same distortion happens if you open the AI files with Photoshop.  Though Photoshop does not support editing AI file Photoshop can import AI file as a raster Pixel Layer.  I believe that is what Place does creating AI vector smart objects. It imports the AI file a as a correctly sized pixel layer.  That transforming a vector smart object just re-imports the file sized differently. If the file is imported with the same distortion as your smart object its at problem in Photoshop Import code.  If it opens without distortion with the default import settings the  problem may be you have missed with the original Place transform and it the Smart object layers associated transform that is distorting you Logo when you do a constrain transform. Its being constrain to the distortion added during the original place.  Post a sample AI file you have a problem with. Photoshop does not support AI vectors in Photoshop.... All Smar object layer have a layer transform for the smart object this associated transforn can disrort the object.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, could you post screenshots showing the issue? Is it the case for all documents?

Is it a document with square pixels?

Is it the case if the Smart Objects are not scaled?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I'm bound by non-disclosure agreements with my clients so I can't post anything. I can tell you that we regularly use placed vector smart objects in Photoshop to compose files for both print and web use. Yes, all documents are square pixels and it happens 9 out of 10 times with all documents. The distortion happens as soon as the object is placed, when it technically should be 100% x 100% (H x V). I've also had objects become distorted again, even after I set them to be proportional and locked the proportions. My coworkers use various versions of Photoshop CS, while I have the latest, and we all experience the same thing. Most of the time the distortions are very small, but occasionally I see something grossly distorted. You can imagine that for clients that require pixel-perfect documents this would be a big problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 5.48.02 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-04-01 at 5.48.32 PM.png

Without showing the object, here's the same .ai file I placed embedded, then linked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It look like the object is being distorted,  The transform is scaling up in size and also distorting. Place will scale smart object down in size if the object does not fit on canvas if resize during place is your preference.  It will not scale object up is size automatically.  You can use the place transform to distort the object any way you like. You can see the transform you show is not constrained the Width and  Height are being scaled a different percentage.  Places automatic transform will be down in size and width and height will be scaled the same percentage below 100%  If the object fits the  automatic transform will be 100% width and height. No resizing scaling. To me it looks like you are adjusting interactivity the Automatically Set Transform Place sets. Perhaps to distort the logo to fill your canvas 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, did you try to update to 21.2.1?

If it did not work, please search or create a thread on the https://feedback.photoshop.com site, watched by Adobe staff. Make sure to provide as many relevant details as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMO it does not matter if Adobe change how smart object works again.   One should not change the size of an existing smart object layers object.  That would make the smart object layers pixels area a different area over the documents canvas and that area may extend outside the documents canvas. Any existing layer mask may mask off the resizing done. The resizing could also reveal areas of lower layers.    You can scale smart object layers and mask them.  If you want a different size object like a different aspect ratio you should delete the existing last and create the smart object layer with  an object the size you want. Changing the object size is not going to fix the warping done for the original object for the new object size. It is also not going to fix existing  layer masks. The Layer should be replaced not the object

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a fix for this issue? This is a huge problem for me as I design for e-commerce and use vector CTA's. The automatic scaling manipulates the tracking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,there is a smart object scaling bug addressed in 21.2.1: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html#photoshop-desktop-fixed-issues

please report if it is fixedm, if not, please search or create a thread on the https://feedback.photoshop.com site, watched by Adobe staff. Make sure to provide as many relevant details as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. My temporary (dumb) solution is after I placed and scaled the smart object, I locked the layer immediately, if any case I need to unlock the layer, I double/triple check the proportion before I output or flatten or re-lock.

Hope Adobe can fix this issue soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We still have this bug and it really annoying. Does anyone have a fix yet? Or is Adobe working on it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I now reconstructed it with random assets and I hope it explains the problem. Can't really grasp when it is occuring. It's not always happening, but it doesn't matter if I drag and drop an .ai or a .png etc. 

So, when you drag and drop the file in the psd it is slightly distorted. When manually clicking on the "link" button, it snaps back to being proportional. But if I leave it as it is and press Enter and THEN press cmd+t again, it shows as 100%x100% … that way you never know if it's right or wrong. This didn't occur in the past. I think it appeared a few updates ago. 

Don't know if this helps, but the first pic is the initial distorted file and the second is the one, when you press cmd+t again. 

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-31 um 14.00.02.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-31 um 14.00.15.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to start with what you wrote. First in your append.

"I now reconstructed it with random assets and I hope it explains the problem. Can't really grasp when it is occuring. It's not always happening, but it doesn't matter if I drag and drop an .ai or a .png etc. "

The reason user can not grasps when it is occurring is because its not always happening  and when its happening it happens differently is because the users  do not know how  Photoshop  "Place" works.  Many believe they know how Place works however, they do not.  I thought I knew how Place worked but soon realized I did not.  For I observed what you are experiencing.  Place did not seem to be consistent it did not always work the same way it seemed to works several ways.   

It took me a long time to figure out how Place is implemented. It operation is consistent however, the way it is implemented is different then how you think Place works.  You brain was hit in the head by a fast curve ball Adobe through at you in your Photoshop Preferences. There is also a knuckle ball in Photoshop preferences  related to place and a landmine. Place does not work the way you believe it works.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How Place works.

Photoshop renders  pixels for the smart objects.  Photoshop is a pixel editor. 

Photoshop harden the pixels it rendered for the smart object. Photoshop Tools can not modify the rendered pixels for the smart object.  These Pixels are not the Smart Object Layer's pixels.

Adobe's Preferences  curve ball.image.png

The option resize during Place is very miss leading.  Place does not resize the pixels rendered for the smart they are not the smart object layers pixels. There is are recorded transform for the smart object the creates the smart object layer's pixels using the smart object rendered pixels as the source image.  If the smart object layer pixels do not  fit on the document's canvas if the preferences is checked Place will adjust the smart object  layers object transform scaling  so the smart object transform will fit on canvas.

The Preferences knuckle ball image.png This is just a change of pace the scaling that Place may doe on its own is still done. You the user do not get the interactive Place transform you can use to transform and warp the smart object. You have to manually use Photoshop Transform to transform and warp smart object layers pixels.

Place may scale the smart object twice.  To be somewhat compatible with other Adobe applications. If the Print resolution of the file being Place in does not match the current document's print resolution Place will scale the smart object layer size. The layer's image will be a different size then then smart object. The layer's image quality will be less then the smart object's quality.  If that scaled image does not fit on canvas place will be scaled the smart object layer smaller and the image  quality will suffer.

Photoshop preferences landmine image.png if this preference is not checked and the placed in image file print resolution does not match your document resolution the Pixels layer create could be very degraded,  You always want Place to create object layers.   The smart object contains you actual image. You can recover the smart object layer image quality if Place degrade the layer image quality. You just have to change the layer's  transform.

One more odd thing has to do with PNG file when the  PNG Layer  have fully transparent borders the subject is smaller then canvas.   The odd thing happens with Place and also Copy Paste with layer with transparent boarders .  The resulting layers will have the fully transparent boarders trimmed off. The layers bounds will be that of the subject  the layer will not  be the size of the png file canvas or copied layer.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

These steps helped me with this trouble.
I did the following in the sequence you see them below...

1. Matched the dimensions of the AI artboard to the dimensions of the destination PSD canvas. 
    Screen Shot 2021-05-31 at 6.45.33 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-05-31 at 6.44.32 PM.png
  2. In Photoshop : Preferences > General :
    Checked “Skip Transformations when Placing” and deselcted “Resize Image During Place”Screen Shot 2021-05-31 at 6.40.09 PM.png

3. “File > Place Linked...”
    (or alternatively I dragged the AI file from the Finder directly into the PSD Canvas)

4. Under “Options” at the top right of the modal -  from the Crop To: menu Selected “Media Box”
    Screen Shot 2021-05-31 at 6.35.17 PM.png

5. Hit Enter or OK

This seemed to work for me. Hope it helps anyone else out there.

–B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines