Highlighted

Smart object scale bug in Photoshop

New Here ,
Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been experiencing this bug in all version of CS so far. It hasn't been fixed by any update. When placing an .ai vector smart object in Photoshop the object gets automatically distorted. Instead of placing at 100% on both horizontal and vertical axes it gets randomly distorted. This is a serious issue when using logos or other branding artwork where it's critical for it to be in proportion. I've also noticed that if I delete an element from the .ai file the smart object distorts even more severely once it updates, even though the artboard is unchanged and the outermost edges of vector art are also identical. Does anyone have a fix for this?

TOPICS
Bug, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Smart object scale bug in Photoshop

New Here ,
Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been experiencing this bug in all version of CS so far. It hasn't been fixed by any update. When placing an .ai vector smart object in Photoshop the object gets automatically distorted. Instead of placing at 100% on both horizontal and vertical axes it gets randomly distorted. This is a serious issue when using logos or other branding artwork where it's critical for it to be in proportion. I've also noticed that if I delete an element from the .ai file the smart object distorts even more severely once it updates, even though the artboard is unchanged and the outermost edges of vector art are also identical. Does anyone have a fix for this?

TOPICS
Bug, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 01, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See it the same distortion happens if you open the AI files with Photoshop.  Though Photoshop does not support editing AI file Photoshop can import AI file as a raster Pixel Layer.  I believe that is what Place does creating AI vector smart objects. It imports the AI file a as a correctly sized pixel layer.  That transforming a vector smart object just re-imports the file sized differently. If the file is imported with the same distortion as your smart object its at problem in Photoshop Import code.  If it opens without distortion with the default import settings the  problem may be you have missed with the original Place transform and it the Smart object layers associated transform that is distorting you Logo when you do a constrain transform. Its being constrain to the distortion added during the original place.  Post a sample AI file you have a problem with. Photoshop does not support AI vectors in Photoshop.... All Smar object layer have a layer transform for the smart object this associated transforn can disrort the object.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 01, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, could you post screenshots showing the issue? Is it the case for all documents?

Is it a document with square pixels?

Is it the case if the Smart Objects are not scaled?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 01, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I'm bound by non-disclosure agreements with my clients so I can't post anything. I can tell you that we regularly use placed vector smart objects in Photoshop to compose files for both print and web use. Yes, all documents are square pixels and it happens 9 out of 10 times with all documents. The distortion happens as soon as the object is placed, when it technically should be 100% x 100% (H x V). I've also had objects become distorted again, even after I set them to be proportional and locked the proportions. My coworkers use various versions of Photoshop CS, while I have the latest, and we all experience the same thing. Most of the time the distortions are very small, but occasionally I see something grossly distorted. You can imagine that for clients that require pixel-perfect documents this would be a big problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 01, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 5.48.02 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-04-01 at 5.48.32 PM.png

Without showing the object, here's the same .ai file I placed embedded, then linked.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 01, 2020 0
Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It look like the object is being distorted,  The transform is scaling up in size and also distorting. Place will scale smart object down in size if the object does not fit on canvas if resize during place is your preference.  It will not scale object up is size automatically.  You can use the place transform to distort the object any way you like. You can see the transform you show is not constrained the Width and  Height are being scaled a different percentage.  Places automatic transform will be down in size and width and height will be scaled the same percentage below 100%  If the object fits the  automatic transform will be 100% width and height. No resizing scaling. To me it looks like you are adjusting interactivity the Automatically Set Transform Place sets. Perhaps to distort the logo to fill your canvas 

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 01, 2020 0
Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, did you try to update to 21.2.1?

If it did not work, please search or create a thread on the https://feedback.photoshop.com site, watched by Adobe staff. Make sure to provide as many relevant details as possible.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2020 0
Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMO it does not matter if Adobe change how smart object works again.   One should not change the size of an existing smart object layers object.  That would make the smart object layers pixels area a different area over the documents canvas and that area may extend outside the documents canvas. Any existing layer mask may mask off the resizing done. The resizing could also reveal areas of lower layers.    You can scale smart object layers and mask them.  If you want a different size object like a different aspect ratio you should delete the existing last and create the smart object layer with  an object the size you want. Changing the object size is not going to fix the warping done for the original object for the new object size. It is also not going to fix existing  layer masks. The Layer should be replaced not the object

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a fix for this issue? This is a huge problem for me as I design for e-commerce and use vector CTA's. The automatic scaling manipulates the tracking.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 16, 2020 0
Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,there is a smart object scaling bug addressed in 21.2.1: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html#photoshop-desktop-fixed-issues

please report if it is fixedm, if not, please search or create a thread on the https://feedback.photoshop.com site, watched by Adobe staff. Make sure to provide as many relevant details as possible.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. My temporary (dumb) solution is after I placed and scaled the smart object, I locked the layer immediately, if any case I need to unlock the layer, I double/triple check the proportion before I output or flatten or re-lock.

Hope Adobe can fix this issue soon.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 22, 2020 0