• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Smart Object would be too big?

Explorer ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there size or pixel limits for smart objects? I'm getting this error message and I'm unable to find anything about it online...

smartobjecterror.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

smart images use more Ram... I would assume your system has limited amounts for Photoshop to use

are you trying to make a 3D object?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm attempting to create a template for our designers to use which is basically a massive window mural. The natural thought is to split apart the separate sections into additional templates, but keeping them all together in one fits more into our current workflow. I do have additional RAM that I could allot to PS, but I'm trying to avoid this type of error popping up for anyone else trying to use the template.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the actual pixel dimensions and file formats? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pixel dimensions: 7,275px X 67,125px

Actual display dimensions: 97"(H) X 895"(W) @ 75ppi 

The smart object is a PSB and the parent file is a PSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the parent doc a PSD or a PSB? SOs fall under the same rules as regular layers as far as the pixel data generated for preview purposes is concerned, so naturally there would be limits on a PSD that might not be relevant with a PSB. Check this! Otehrwise of course you could simply run out of memory somewhere, be that actual RAM or the swap files. Monitoring Task Manager might be helpful.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The parent doc is a PSD. Our scripts do not know how to process PSBs so a couple years ago we came up with the solution to have our extremely large (over-sized) files to have an (OS) appended to end of that template's name. These parent files are given however low of a resolution is needed so that the pixel dimensions do not exceed the 30k pixel limit for a file to be saved as a PSD. Then within the template is a smart object that contains the full sized art. This way we're still able to process our completed files to set up our automated proofs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or maybe this could be about pixel dimension limits. 

Is the SO scaled? What are the pixel dimensions of SO and containing document? Does the SO exceed the containing document’s canvas? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the smart object is scaled, and until I attempted to remove the scale I did not have any issues. The problem with leaving it scaled is that once the file goes to Prepress and they attempt to set up the production file, their scripts are not detecting the 1/16th scale and it thinks the full mural size is only 6 inches tall X 56 inches wide, when it's actually supposed to be 97 inches tall X 895 inches wide.

So my template was originally scaled and when I removed that is when I got my error message. So it does appear to have some sort of limitations, but I do know that it's not the same limits determining whether or not a file can be saved as a PSD or if it must be saved as a PSB (which is a limit of pixel dimensions 30,000 x 30,000 and max size to 2GB.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can’t recall the exact number but when when the 30.000px limitation was increased a limitation remained, so:

What are the exact pixel dimensions and resolutions of containing document and Smart Object and the Smart Object’s scale? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I just responded under your other question.

Pixel dimensions: 7,275px X 67,125px

Actual display dimensions: 97"(H) X 895"(W) @ 75ppi 

The smart object is a PSB and the parent file is a PSD.

The current scale of the smart is 1\16th so the resolution is set to 1200ppi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait, so the SO and the containing document have different resolutions? 

I suspect it is pointless to continue this unless you can provide the actual file on which the issue arises. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes the resolution is different for the two. The whole point of why we set it up this way is to keep the parent file's pixel dimensions below 30,000 in either direction so that it can remain as a PSD, which is necessary with our current scripts. I ended up lowering the print resolution from 75ppi down to 56ppi. Not ideal, but it'll have to do for now. Thanks for looking into this for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines