• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Smart Objects Linked to the wrong files...

New Here ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what happened:

1. I have 4 smart objects linked to File A and I have 1 smart object linked to File B.
  2. I accidently moved File B in the Finder, then I mistankenly re-linked that amart object to File A
  3. When I relinked Layer 5 back to File B, Photoshop also relinked Layers 1-4 to File B when they should be linked File A.

So, how do I get the smart object linked to the correct files?

Thanks for any help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might want to take one of the smart objects, right-click to the right of the layer name in the Layers panel, and select New Smart Object via Copy. Then relink to File B.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response Myra, but I don't see that option.  I'm using Photoshop 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where you click on the layer is important. In the Layers panel, on a layer with a smart object, you'll see the thumbnail, the name of the layer, and blank space to the right of the name of the layer. Right-click in that blank space. That's where the context menu will appear. 

But you can also select the layer and go to Layer > Smart Objects > New Smart Object via Copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To clarify, the option does not appear in the right-click menu for the right of the layer menu and it's also greyed out in Layers > Smart Objects menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a layer with a smart object selected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Would you be able to share a screenshot of your Layers panel with the layer selected and the menu that shows up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

take a any object, then right click to right layer name in the panel and copy to select new smart object. Now you can unlink to this file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines