Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow me here:
Image>
Establish 3 layers> (command J)
Disable the top layer, choose middle, apply gausian blur>
Enable top layer, add mask to TOP layer, (white)>
Brush is black, apply brush to mask>
(here's the problem)  When I brush the mask on the top layer to reveal the middle layer, the middle layer reverts back to in-focus, meaning the blur goes away!  I've been using PS since version 5.5 and NEVER seen this freaky thing.  WHAT is happening?  I've looked at every setting I know to check and nothing works to fix it.  I reset the brush, nothing.  SO bizarre.

Video here: https://youtu.be/0lU1o9C-i_0  

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try going to Preferences > Performance and uncheck Legacy Compositing . Then restart and try again

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for that tip.

I'm having also really weird issues moving layers or using eraser.

Layers got doubled when moving, I had to save and close file, then open it again to have a better view. But saving and closing file for each change is a real pain!

When using eraser, I did not see the result on the main image, only in the small thumbs in layers window.

Unchecking "Legacy Compositing" seems to do the trick, but what does it exactly do please?

Will this bug get a fix or should this box stay unchecked from now on?

Regards,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The compositing engine at the heart of Photoshop has been updated over the last few versions.  Legacy Compositing was provided as a fall back whilst any bugs in the new were resolved. Unfortunately in the latest version the use of the old legacy compositing engine introduced a new issue with screen redraw. However, most are now able to use the new engine reliably and without issues.

So, the bottom line is that wherever possible (unless you get specific issues on your hardware) the box should now be unchecked to use the newer compositing engine.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not have a problem like thata do what Dave wrote.

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having same issues. The layers are so screwed up. When trying add texture can see it on layer, try to re-size or rotate through transform the texture layer is transformed OK but there is the original texture underneath and has not be transformed. Try to apply blend mode and nothing happens. Rotate layers in the layers panel and sometimes works.!!! so bizarre. Totally frustrated. Every day and update comes through from Adobe but onviously is not addressing this problem. It appears there are many people having the same issue. I am not a beginner and have been using PS for many years. I am considering cancelling my subscription and using On1 as my processor. You can always get an support from them within hours and they allow you to forward a screen shot showing the issue. Not at all happy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to contact Adobe to cancel your subscription you can not do that here is this user fotum site. Photoshop take time to learn and it has bugs. Adobe's support, application development and testing are   poor.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Preferences - Performance and uncheck Legacy Compositing.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines