• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SOLUTION - Photoshop & Lightroom Crash on Starup (Alienware Area 51 R5)

Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2018 Mar 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

March 2018

I wish I could credit the person who's post I found (and lost) for this solution:

ISSUE

Photoshop and Lightroom crash on startup, everytime. They will start in safe mode

CONFIG (very simple)

Dell Area 51 R5

I9 Processors (12 cores)

32 Gig 2933 Mhz

Dual Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 TI (SLI)

SOLUTION (2 steps)

1. Uninstall Intel Turbo Boost App

2. BIOS Change

- Hit F2 on startup (for setup)

- Click on Advanced

- Click on CPU Config

- ONLY disable the Intel Speedstep option

- Reboot and there ya go.

I can start both Photoshop and Lightroom - I am so happy!

I spent 1.5 hours on the phone with Adobe support and was unable to figure this out.  Waiting for call back, but now I have the answer for them.

Hope this helps!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

You are absolutely right, based on your feedback I have found that for the Dell Area 51 R5 there is a urgent update available that fixes the issue:

I checked my BIOS version and it was on 1.1.9, so downloaded the 1.1.10 BIOS update and installed it. Then I enabled 'Speedstep' option again to test Lightroom and now for me it works fine. I read that disenabling Speedstep in the long run will have negative impact the overall lifespan of your processor. As with BIOS updates, some care is required, so

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2018 Mar 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Posting you crash reports details would be helpful

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fix that saved my day! I just purchased a similar Dell Area 51 R5 and experienced exactly the same issue. Just one click on 'disable' in the BIOS solved what would have been a monumental problem for me. Thanks for recovering that golden post.

Definitely an item to put in Adobe's knowledge system for all other Dell alienware photoshop and lightroom users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something similar has been reported several times, with X299 chipsets and certain CPUs (can't recall which). A BIOS update to the motherboard should fix it.

Other threads should come up in a search.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are absolutely right, based on your feedback I have found that for the Dell Area 51 R5 there is a urgent update available that fixes the issue:

I checked my BIOS version and it was on 1.1.9, so downloaded the 1.1.10 BIOS update and installed it. Then I enabled 'Speedstep' option again to test Lightroom and now for me it works fine. I read that disenabling Speedstep in the long run will have negative impact the overall lifespan of your processor. As with BIOS updates, some care is required, so best to check the bios version and read the BIOS update approach on the Dell Alienware support site. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines