• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 103 - Pool party!

Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks to all who took part on last weekend's "drifting" challenge. 

This week I bring you a swimming pool. I modelled and rendered the scene in Blender 3D,  and textured it in Adobe Substance Painter. However, it looks far too quiet for a pool party. Can you liven it up ?

The “rules”:

• Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.
  • Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert. It also would be great to see all those who have taken part in the previous challenges come and take part in this one.
  • There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

To download the image below at 3000 x 2000 pixels with an embedded ICC colour profile (sRGB), hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right. Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW103Pool.jpg

For those that like to get a sense of scale, the pool measures 12 m x 8 m and is 1m deep at the shallow (far) end and 2m at the deep end. The "camera" lens used in rendering is 26mm focal length.

When posting back your image – please use the Blue reply button in this first post. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Jul 26, 2020 Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sometimes I feel like that too 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could be the party with the most extreme social distancing, so far (away).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just realized that it is also quite far from the early settlement.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/something-for-the-weekend-part-76-fly-me-to-the-moon/m-p/10...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW103PoolRain.jpg

Testing my change of weather skills.
Unexpected things appear when it gets dark.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The famous Loch Ness pool monster 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also thought I would change the weather..

SFTW103PoolWinter.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great job Dave with the snow and ice. What did you to create the effect?

For rain, I use noise with motion blur, similar to the tutorial below:
https://www.photoshopessentials.com/photo-effects/photoshop-weather-effects-rain/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dean.

There is nothing special used on the image, just ordinary round brushes to paint snow, layers, blending modes (Screen , Lighten , Dissolve)  and adjustment layers. For example the trees are just selected then a Hue and sat adjustment layer combined with an extreme curve adjustment to give the  "snow" on the leaves.

2020-07-26_22-55-45.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"There is nothing special used on the image..."

... except talent? Nicely done, Dave! 

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hah!  I missed this one.  It's actually making me shiver just to look at it.  I wonder what temperature Newcastle Brown Ale freezes at?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I almost didn't finish this.  Photoshop crashed on me after 30 minutes working on this two days ago (my fault, not Photoshop's), but I had some of the elements saved so here it is. 🙂

Diver.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha - a great idea Trevor and very well executed 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad you were able to re-do it, Trevor, and that water must be a bit deeper than it appears. 😊

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of the tough ones do it in(to) very shallow water, Jane.

Surely Dave is tough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane, Jacob is being literal when he talks about shallow water.  I believe Daren Taylor (the guy in this video) holds the record at  37.8 feet (11.52 m) into just 30cm (one foot) of water.  I have no idea how he doesn't hurt himself... a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the video and the name, @Trevor! Now I see that you’ve drawn Darren’s stand, (and drawn it quite exquisitely), and that I confused shallow divers with the cliff divers that I love to watch.

Most cliff divers go in feet first. Dives from 65 feet (20 meters) call for water depths of 43 to 49 feet (13 to 15 meters), which is why I thought the pool must be deeper than it appeared. There is a small group of professional divers in Acapulco called the La Quebrada Cliff Divers who jump from up to 148 feet (45 meters).

https://adventure.howstuffworks.com/outdoor-activities/water-sports/cliff-diving.htm

“I have no idea how he doesn't hurt himself... a lot!”

Apparently the technique is:

• Spread out your limbs and torso to create most possible surface area
  • Hit the water with your hands first to break the surface
  • The very small size of Darren's pool and the foam pads underneath it are essential to survival

https://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/arts/circus-arts/shallow-diving.htm

These stunts are not without risk! Roy Fransen was the first shallow diver, and he died during his (last) act. I came across a video of most painful cliff dives from Red Bull that I couldn't finish and won’t link to. It was too wrenching and horrifying to watch the rescues. But I do love your image and I'm sure your "Dave Head" will not be harmed. 😊

Cheers,

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as I land on my head there should be no serious damage 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane,

As far as I can make out, as a crucial part Darren Taylor/Professor Splash bends slightly backwards centred on the rib cage which hits first by a twinkle and bears the brunt (also from the foam bottom), also stabilizing his floating flight and ensuring the balanced/symmetrical descent in the water.

The Dive of Death of Roy Fransen was of the other (and original/usual) kind, and faster, not only because of the height being thrice as great (up to 110 feet) but also because of the non floating (sometimes somersaulting and ending in the) head first dive which required a greater depth (up to 8 feet), a crucial part being the exactly right (second) somersaulting in the water (like a U turn away from the bottom).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a tightrope?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, Graham.

Going far away in time rather than (literally) in space as in the Earthrise shot above, this unusually clean daguerrotype shows Charles Blondin at home in his favourite relaxation position, only missing the soothing sound of the Niagara beneath. He was able to enjoy a sound a bit like it in 45.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/something-for-the-weekend-part-45-secret-of-the-falls/m-p/1...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We seem to be making the segue from party to dangerous sports. I wonder what lies in the water 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, Dave, starting with your (hopefully successful and unfatal) ice diving duration record attempt,

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/something-for-the-weekend-part-103-pool-party/m-p/11316123#...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I wonder what lies in the water"

Was she not diving in to replenish the beer for the party-goers? 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW103Pool.jpg

I think I'll skip my swim today...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines