Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 107 - Scarecrows

Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Thanks to all who created the gargoyles and grotesques in last weekend's challenge.

This week I passed this field which a local farmer has been preparing for planting. I was thinking that he might need a scarecrow or two once he plants the seeds. Can you oblige?

The “rules”:

• Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.
  • Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert. It also would be great to see all those who have taken part in the previous challenges come and take part in this one.
  • There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

To download the image below at 6720 x 4480 pixels with an embedded ICC colour profile (sRGB), hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right. Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW107Fields.jpg

When posting back your image – please use the Blue reply button in this first post. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun!

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two quick comments, Dave:

I believe the seeds are sown already, most likely wheat.

I really like the usual instruction to use blue for new and grey for follow up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took this yesterday. It seemed late to me for sowing wheat, but you can tell I'm not a farmer and know nothing about it  🙂 

Thanks for pointing out the Blue/Grey instruction which I'd left out. It's now added in.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many would find it too early for wheat, so it could very well be rapeseed (it might also be triticale (wheatrye), barley and rye are definitely later). You can tell us in a few SFTWs time, Dave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"you can tell I'm not a farmer"

If POTUS is the farmer, he has sown seeds of chaos and confusion in your field, Dave!

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

107.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha - that should do it Graham 🙂 Thanks for starting us off!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW107FieldsAviles.jpg

Nothing scarier than dead baseball players coming out of the corn...(sorry, no wheat or rapeseed!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice one Rafael. I did think of my example before I scrolled down to see yours 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Dean. Great minds think alike!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Coming from the UK, I had to look up Crows and baseball to see the connection on this one. Nice one Rafael !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Dave!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I had to look up Crows and baseball"

It's been a long time since I saw the movie, but isn't the farmer walking through a cornfield when he hears those words?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rafael, we are closer than you think: over here, (at least for those unswept by Yanklish) corn is a(ny) cereal such as wheat/barley/rye/oat, so of course I ought to have just written the corn is sown already; (your corn is (still) called maize over here (from mahiz (Taino speak))).

Apart from that, I find the plants scarier than the ghosts, so tall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the info, Jacob. The word maize is used in many native languages in America, and is the Spanish form of the Taino name (mahiz, as you mention). The plant itself probably originated in south central Mexico, where it was was first domesticated thousands of years ago. It can grow very tall indeed. The leaves have a rough edge that can give you nasty cuts if you are not careful, especially if you run through a corn field. I know from first experience, having done that many times as a young boy in my native Mexico.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I know from first experience, having done that many times as a young boy in my native Mexico."

I smiled when I read this, Rafael, as I have happy memories of running through a field of very tall grass behind our house that came to mid-thigh, and it wasn't until I was well into adulthood that I realized that my thigh wasn't very high when I was young girl.

I looked it up though, and there is a strain in Mexico that grows to 3.4 meters (11.2 ft) and a researcher in NY is growing corn that is 14 meters (45 ft).

https://www.sciencenewsforstudents.org/article/worlds-tallest-corn-towers-nearly-14-meters

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The corn my grandfather used to grow (commercially) was about 2 m (6.7 ft) tall. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Build it and they will come.

SFTW107FieldsBB.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another clever twist on the theme 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave.

Like Rafael - the move 'Field of Dreams' came to mind.

I'm not sure if the baseball diamond is the correct size. I'll blame being an Aussie for that rather image deficiencies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There won't be many more turn up with that one there  🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bigly.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha. Brilliant ! 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plow.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines