Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 122 - Happy Trees

Community Expert ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

During lockdown one of our TV channels has been running repeats of the late Bob Ross' "Joy of Painting" series. For those not familiar with them, Bob painted landscapes in oils and, in real time, went from a blank canvas to a completed painting in just 30 minutes. In doing so, and in his very calm and positive style, he encouraged many people around the world to have a go at painting. While watching these I wondered if I could create a 3D scene in a similar style to Bob's trees and mountains paintings. It took me a bit longer than 30 minutes using a combination of Blender 3D, World Creator, Adobe Substance and Xfrog, but for this week's starter image we have my tribute to Bob.

Now you have the scene, what can you do to bring it to life?

The “rules”:

• Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.
  • Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.
  • There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

To download the image below at 3000 x 2000 pixels, with an embedded ICC colour profile (sRGB), hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right. Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW122MountainsandLake.jpg

When posting back your image – please use the Blue reply button in this first post. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Enthusiast ,
Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You make it look happily mysterious,  Dean.  Cubism always seems a mystery to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rista. Glad you can see it is Cubism I am aiming for. I didn't quite get the distortion and abstract nature of the subject. Perhaps I needed to change the image more before adding cube layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what the picture looked like after the parcel service delivered it 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The joy of not painting very well 😀

SFTW122MountainsandLake.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like a "Paint by Number"? 😂

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only we are not sure which numbers !! 😉 Is that a flying crocodile??

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Impressive render!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Barbara

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another great image, Dave! Brilliant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rafael

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW122MountainsandLakeAviles.jpg

Bobbie Ross at work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will he make it this time?

SFTW122MountainsandLakeMcQueen.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, @davescm, this time he will make it!

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah good - I wonder that every time I watch the film 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, Steve McQueen.  Didn't he actually do the jump himself?   It would have been so much harder with the sort of small travel suspension bikes had in those days.   Will the movie be aired over Christmas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I could find out, Steve McQueen did all his own bike stunts, except for the fence jump which was done by a stunt double. The bike was a modified TT Special 650 Triumph made to look like a wartime BMW.

Recently Guy Martin re-created the jump on a modified Triumph, jumping two fences!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW122MountainsandLake JE.jpg

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bear is quite welcome to that camping spot. I'm not going to argue with it 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane, that also explains the path.

Until now I only knew of a bull with a fondness for flowers.

Is the tent for shelter or for travelling incognito and unfeared (given the size/fit and shape)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interpretation is generally up to the viewer, Jacob 😊

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Inspired by your image, Tami and I, we together made the "Allgäu Stuimändle Weg" (a way marked in the Alpine foothills with cairns). 😉

SFTW122MountainsandLake05Stui.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are reliant on cairns for navigation you might want to avoid SFTW 67 🙂

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/something-for-the-weekend-part-67-rolling-stones/m-p/104148...

This weeks challenge is underway (no takers yet though) https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/something-for-the-weekend-part-123-sphere-of-influence/m-p/...

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are never forfairn when you can see the bairn and the cairn.

Du bist nie verlassen, wenn du das Kind und den Steinhaufen sehen kanst.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Vielen Dank Jacob, m. E. sind unsere Kinder in diesen Zeiten großartige Orientierungshilfen: So jung und schon sehr erwachsen!

Thank you Jacob, I think our children are great guides in these times: so young and already very grown up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines