• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 132 - Hit the road !

Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

There is nothing like the freedom of a nice open road, and this particular road crosses the beautiful North Yorkshire Moors in England. But the scene looks a bit too empty. Can you bring it to life?

The “rules”:

* Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc

* Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

* There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

To download the image below at 6720 x 4480 pixels, with an embedded ICC colour profile (sRGB), hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right. Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW132Road.jpg

When posting back your image – please use the Blue reply button in this first post. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, so you got into the car and got away from the woodentops and got there and got the photo and got away from the woodentops again and got yourself back home and got it posted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The photo was taken last year Jacob, when travel was allowed, although it isn't very far from home 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know, Dave, and I believe it must have been later in the year.

But it was stronger than I, also because Durham was in Tier 4 even before the national lockdown, even though North Yorkshire/Riding was only in Tier 3.

I was ready to post a few hours ago but so far I have upload failure; you may have a hunch what, or maybe rather who, would already have appeared to get you.

By the way, about a century ago someone set out to prove that everything could be expressed with just one (certain) verb and wrote a short piece to that effect; I have tried to find it again, also (so far) in vain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was taken before the Tier system was introduduced in the UK. There were a few local lockdowns in place at the time, but not here. Of course now we are still in national lockdown. but I hope that later this year I can go back to the North Yorkshire Moors.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

“Hit the Road, Jack, and don't you come back no more!”

SFTW132Road JE1.jpg

You live in a beautiful part of the world, Dave. Thank you for showing it to us with your photos!

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

100% impossible to read without singing it with whatever version of a Ray Charles voice you can manage, and probably closing your eyes for good measure.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW132RoadAviles.jpg

And they built their houses right up to the road...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Houses?  You had houses? You were lucky!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone that missed Trevor's reference :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue7wM0QC5LE

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I'm slow.

I've seen the skit dozens of times, but just this minute put together that the photo is from Yorkshire ! 😊

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the road to no where?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best kind Graham 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Run-Forrest-Run.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm thinking there must be new user who don't realise how easy this sort of frame animation is to do, with a couple of tricks to get the perspective right. Probably the easiest way to create frames is to generate the layers use Free Transform Step & Repeat  

1) So make your selection and create your moving element (Forrest Gump)

2) Place him above the background so that his eyes align with the horizon.

3) Copy the layer (Ctrl J)

4) Free Transform to make him smaller — we need to make the transform happen aroundd the eyeline, so to do that you need to Alt Drag the center handle as below.  (See note after image)

image.png

Note: If the center handle is not showing, then you need to check Show Reference Point when using Transform in Preferences > Tools

image.png

5) With the centre handle moved to the eyeline reduce in size by Alt draging a corner handle. OK that.

6) Now comes Step & Repeat, so before you do anything else, use Shift Ctrl Alt T as many times as is needed to make Forrest reduce to a dot (or something close)

7) Select all the Forrest layers and put them in a group.  This gives a powerful way to shape the animation using Free Transform on the group.  In my case I Ctrl dragged the top and bottom middle handles to better align Forrest to the road

image.png

8) Now switch to the Motion workspace, and on Create Frame Annimation which will create the first frame.

9) Click on the widget at the top right corner of the Timeline, and choose Make Frames from Layers

image.png

10) Select all the frames and turn on the Background layer

11)  Because of the layer order Forrest will be moving away from us.  We could have used Layer > Arrange > Reverse Order before creating the frames, or you could select all the frames and use Reverse Frames from the Timeline pop-up

12) I like to put a delay between each run so set the last frame to two seconds (I think)

13)  Frame animations can produce large files which might take a while to load for some users, so make Image Size sensible.  Forrest has 100 frames so I reduced it down to 1000 pixels on the long side.

14) To save the GIF go File > Export > Save for web (legacy)  The defaults are good, but you might be able to reduce color bit depth to reduce file size.  That will work better with things like cartoons

image.png

15) That's it. Job done.  You can't paste a frame animation to the forum, so you have to open the widget and use Browse choose file.

It really is that easy.  It gets harder (MUCH) harder if you try to animate multiple objects.  That takes planing and has to be done manually clicking on each frame one at a time, and turning on the relevant layer.  It can also get very messy and it is easy to lose your place.  The secret is to have all the layers made BEFORE you create the frame animation, but if you do need to make major edits after the fact, then remember to select all frames first.

If you have a full CC subscription, then Animate will be way easier to move multiple objects, and one day I might even learn how to use it. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure People from outside the UK will understand the context, but I hope so because that was such a funny program.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant Trevor. The cobbled road is a clever touch.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would Cyril's left arm need to be extra long to reach their new friend's shoulder?  I think they have all passed now, but the show started something like 45 years ago, so they'd have to be well into their hundreds.

I couldn't help myself. 😞  Cyril (second left) would be 101,  Compo (on the left) would be 107, and Cleggy (on the right) would be 104.  So nealry as old as our Norman.  Now I think about it, I am not 100% sure that Cyril was the original posh member of the trio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, @Trevor.Dennis, "Last of the Summer Wine" was a big hit here, as well. I wish they'd run it again. That Norman was a retired linoleum salesman, as I recall. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first thing that came to mind was deer crossing. Unfortunately, it’s a very common thing around here. In some cases, it can be deadly for the deer or the motorist.

KSFTW 132_Hit the Road_sm.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW132RoadAviles2.jpg

Why did he?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pole 2.png

Take a chance. Who'll know?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL!  I can see an Area 51 warning poster and an electric fence working well with traffic lights in the middle of nowhere Norman.  Or from your point of view, a couple of Yellow Taxies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2021 Mar 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Norman, you found the one spot where the constabulary of North Riding decided to make a stand to stop foreign folk from driving on the wrong side of the road.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines