• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 2 - What Lies Beneath?

Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following on from the great responses to last week's fun Photoshop challenge, I have a new one for this weekend

This is the Canning Dock in Liverpool, UK. That strange building on the left is the Longitude building and is not an artefact of my lens but it actually is built like that. When took the picture I liked the reflections but I wonder what it would look like if the water was crystal clear or if the dock was drained altogether? What would we see?

As with last week :

Anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop legend.

There are no prizes - just the chance to practice / show off or bring a bit of humour and fun.

As requested, I've posted the image at a bit higher resolution this week, as it can help with composites. When posting back your edited images please downsize to 1500px on the long side.

To download, right click and Save Image As / Save Picture As (or similar depending on your browser)

Liverpool-Canning-Dock.jpg

Enjoy...

Dave

(If anyone wants to take a look at last weekend's submissions - they are here Something for the weekend ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2018 Jan 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha - Derek you just made me spill my coffee

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the best ideas have already been used so here for Dave is 'Krakatoa East of Anfield'

krakatoa.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very ominous looking Terri.

......................... so here for Dave is 'Krakatoa East of Anfield'

I'm sure that's the name of a restaurant where I had a particularly hot curry.............

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Terri+Stevens  wrote

All the best ideas have already been used \

Torvill & Dean skating on the water.

Synchronized swimming

A jetboat or jetski race, or one of those crazy jet hover devices.

A cutaway along the lines of Erik Johannson's fish composite.  Erik has great ideas, and is a prolific digital artist.

Instead of removing all the water, leave a column of water with a boat trapped at the top.  Along the lines of the earthquake cows which was taken not far from where I live

An inverted aquarium theme where the fish are studying the strange humans on the outside.  You'd need a caption or speech bubbles to make that work.

A Daliesque creation with melting buildings and people with twenty foot long stick thin legs. Plus the obligatory droppy clock

A Lowry approach with stick thin people and stylized buildings.  Try your cartoon effects on the background.  I bet there is a lowry people brush you can download.  Add a texture to grunge it up at the end.

I like the cutaway idea, but it is unlikely I'll have time to look at it today, so now's your chance to nick the idea .  Perhaps a sort of Heath Robinson gadget exposed below the waterline with a conveyor belt at its end turning out Kevin Keagan perm wigs.  I'd have to give it a Kiwi flavour with mullets instead of curly perms

http://www.teamjimmyjoe.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/redneck-mullet-funny-best-worst-awesome.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terri's image made me think of another.....

Liverpool-Canning-Dock-Beatles.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what were the Beatles singing Dave? 'Help' ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Terri+Stevens  wrote

what were the Beatles singing Dave? 'Help' ?

Octopus's Garden of course

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

or maybe 'Fixing a hole' ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kiwi water-skiing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like that. Where's the great white shark chasing the girl?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

# MeToo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

White sharks don't mess with Kiwis when they are driving their utes (what they call a pick up truck over here — short for utility vehicle).  I'd been hunting for a new picture for Friday, and found this series from a recent flood just up the road from me.  The red arrows show man made stop-banks which follow the entire length of the creek to form a flood plain.  It's spring fed right out of the aquifer, and ice cold.

We have thousands of one-way bridges.  There even used to be one on State Highway 1, which is our equivalent of the M1 and M6 in the UK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the great participation over the weekend.

Between us we managed to get in most of the Liverpool clichés, in fact Trevor got most of them into one image!   Semaphoric gave us plenty options to pass on to the Liverpool development agency with his new stadium, library and canyon, which led nicely into the volcanic and lunar landscapes from Terri and USS.Norway.

Trevor also brought us the new sport of SUV skiing, whilst Derek has given me a new hobby to take up - just as soon as I crack the Japanese code from Dag, which I am told may be a hair restorer recipe to grow a curly perm.

I'll leave this thread open until Friday when Trevor will be giving us next weekend's challenge. If anyone is keen to put a picture up the week after, just shout out. If not I'll dig out another.

Remember anyone is welcome to join in, it is not just for ACPs.

Cheers

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

just as soon as I crack the Japanese code from Dag

To tell you the truth, I was kind of busy this weekend, and just needed something that didn't take too much masking work...

I've never really been big on the Beatles. But I could crack a joke or two about LFC. As you may or may not know, Dave, English football - that's soccer to you Americans - has a particularly strong hold here in Norway. There are certain historical reasons for that, long story, but anyway, one of my neighbors is a diehard Liverpool fan. He has a little chambre séparée in his garden, with a proud brass sign that says "Anfield Road". This glorified piece of real estate has two poorly-looking tufts of half-dead grass on it. They barely survive. Now - did he buy it in the souvenir shop? Or did he actually run out on the field to grab a handful of holy ground? I don't know.

But it always makes me feel good when people live for a purpose. Bless him.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I visited my Dad on Sunday and we were watching Liverpool play Manchester City on TV. Your neighbour will be happy - Liverpool won 4-3. But we commented how pristine the pitch was at this point in the season - compared to 20-30 years ago when the two goal mouths and the centre spot would have been a muddy mess. I look at the grass in my garden and it looks closer to the 30 years ago pitch than the modern Premiere league. Then again my grass is not irrigated, heated, reseeded, and wasn't re-laid last year!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I first moved to NZ it astonished me that they use dozens of helicopters to blow freezing air off the vines.  The cost is about NZ$1000 per hour per helicopter, and apparently that is the cheaper option compared to the wind machines that cost upwards of NZ$50,000 each, and are expensive to run.  And bloody noisy as well, but thankfully we don't have them in our part of the valley.

http://www.lakeviewvineyardequipment.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/getmediaobject-4.ashx_.jpeg

The point I am making is that there is so much money involved in the grapes, that it is worth their while putting up a few helicopters two or three times a year.  Imagine how much money is involved with LFC?  The transfer fees are staggering, so turnover must be well into the millions.

BTW  I have a reasonable connection here at just under 50MB/s, and this thread is taking a while to load the pictures, so perhaps we might need to rethink the upload size?  I actually thing it is the Adobe server rather than local connection speed, so I'd be interested in hearing other people's experiences regards this thread?  I am talking about page one of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually thing it is the Adobe server rather than local connection speed, so I'd be interested in hearing other people's experiences regards this thread?

yes the servers have been poping in and out down under... this diver  took me far too long to make

2B4t0wU

Screenshot (265).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blimey, it looks like the servers are not the only thing that has been popping in and out.  I am not sure what that is at the bottom of the tank, but it looks prolapsed!  That's me a dead cert for nightmares tonight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lol I was going for old and damaged... may have overdone the bump map?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trevor

The first post normally loads quickly, but at that point it is only showing the previews- it takes a few seconds to get the full image after clicking on the image.

I say normally because every now and then there is a large delay - like just now when opening the reply box. I am also on a good broadband connection so the occasional delays do appear to be at the server end.

USS.Norway
It does look like you've bottled something particularly nasty, but I would save it before changing.  I am sure you can squeeze it in to a good "horror" image on one of these threads in the coming weeks

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Locking this one as the new weekend challenge is up an running

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

A Daliesque creation with melting buildings and people with twenty foot long stick thin legs. Plus the obligatory droppy clock

Dali is one of my favourite artists and to think he doubles up as a lama in Tibet is dead impressive lol I'd like to see works of art used as Photoshop splash sceens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines