• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something For the Weekend - Part 4 - San Diego Waterfront

Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm kicking this off a bit early as it is (almost) Friday here, and I am going to be a bit full on tomorrow (my new computer is _finally_ finished).

A different approach this time, and I have done some of the work for you.  Instead of a full image, I'm providing a cutout with transparency, and you have to decide how to use it. The sailor and his girl are a statue at San Diego I took at MAX in 2016.

The PDF is about 2500 pixels on the long side. Previous SFTW threads got a bit slow to load by the time it was filled with images, so we should maybe keep the final uploads to say 1200 pixels on the long side.  Have fun

A Sailor and His Girl 2.pdf

[EDIT] I am not sure if you will be able to open this as a layered document with CS6 and older versions.  If you have that problem, then you will still be able to open it as a PDF with a white background, so an easy selection.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

jane-e   wrote

The sailor was George Mendonsa and the woman was Greta Zimmer, a dental assistant. He grabbed her and kissed her. She had nothing to do with it!

Trevor.Dennis    wrote

Ahhh...  That'll be why I was banging my head against a wall wondering how you'd done that.  It was still food for thought as they say, and I had to have a go at changing the perspective to some extent. So below is the original, my edit, and the statue.  .

Wouldn't it be wonderful if George and Greta had married and lived happily ever after?

Wow, great edits, Trevor! When I first posted the picture, I thought everyone knew it as well as they might know, say, the Mona Lisa, so I didn't identify it except to say Times Square. But then I realized it's probably only well known in the U.S.

I will look for that statue the next time MAX returns to San Diego!

George and Greta did marry and live happily ever after, just not to each other, hahaha! It was a grab, kiss, and run moment, but nobody knew that at the time. (And yes, it would have been a cool story if they had grown old together!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2018 Jan 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone has to put them in Times Square, so that will be uncreative me.

IMG_4806.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's very realistic. The black and white really makes it work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a great job Jane - I love how you've changed the perspective and the way the people behind appear to be looking at them.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe-Forum4.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice, I like the way you have made it look aged circa 1880, coincidentally Trevor's year of birth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My time machine must need re-calibrating. I was aiming for the 1950's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know you did, I just wanted to be rude about old Dennis as he's always being rude about me In case anyone is wondering it's jest, Trevor and I get along very well even though I do wonder about his sanity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wonder no longer, Terri, and I think Trevor will be the first to agree, hahaha!

Pretty sure 1945 is Rista12's aim, maybe somewhere close to August 14.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It occurs to me that some non-Americans may not have grown up seeing this photo taken on Victory-Over-Japan Day of a sailor kissing a stranger in Times Square. For camera buffs, it was taken with a Leica IIIa.

V-J Day in Times Square - Wikipedia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something for you all to enjoy the weekend!

Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH2OnNEtxVY

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

chanaart  wrote

Something for you all to enjoy the weekend!

Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH2OnNEtxVY

'Let me be your wuller'

Even as a fellow Kiwi I have no idea what one of those is.

[Mod warning — the above video has scary mums in it  ]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love these threads! Thanks for starting them up Dave and Trevor!

Anybody use Select Subject on this one? I tried it out, did a pretty good job/starting selection!

Regards

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers Pete

On this occasion I didn't as Trevor had already kicked the mask off. I have been trying it out though and more often than not it gives a good starting point to continue with quick mask inside select and mask.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not on this one Pete, but I have been using it and it is a bit like magic .  This is what it did with the full res version of the file.  I actually half expected it to crash on me as I have an old GTX570 in my system at the moment, and S&M crashes every time I try to add radius or turn on Smart Radius.

If you were involved, the kudos to you, but say thanks to the team members who worked on it.   Being such a time saver, it deserves a shortcut though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you enjoy the feature Trevor. I am not a developer and so was not part of the team that created it, but will pass on the Kudos. They like those.

Re: Keyboard Shortcut, thankfully the feature has been added as a menu item to the Select menu. Select > Subject.

You’re more than welcome and able to create your own desired keyboard shortcut for it. Something that fits you and your style.

Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts > Application Menus > Select > Subject

Regards

Pete

Pete Green | Social Support, Customer Care | Customer & Employee Experience | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No new images today, so I thought I'd post one

myCake.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love the tones and textures and how the bride and groom mimic the cake topper. Brilliant !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 01, 2018 Feb 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh thank you-that made my day

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are so welcome Terri !

Edit: That's weird .... Just found this in ' auto recover ' ??? I posted it thus morning. ...

Hello, I know I'm way late with this. I felt like playing. Thanks ! 1Asailor.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome Jodi - I like the texture. A new challenge will start tomorrow - come and join in

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much Dave !! I'll be sure to check it out !   I tried liking your comment but it just wasn't accepting my click.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jodi,

I really like this, it has a ghostly type feel to it which blends nicely with the period nature of the original statue. I hope you continue to have fun with these challenges in the future. I think you have proved here you don't need to be an ACP to do something really good

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much Terri for your wonderful words. Much appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jodi_Frye  wrote

Thanks so much Terri for your wonderful words. Much appreciated

You can stop that mylarky RIGHT away!

Shooting-Gallery-4.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines