• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 41 -Mind your head !

Community Expert ,
Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Thanks to all who took part in last week's challenge - some great ideas and images were posted.

This week's image is a bit different. I was watching the Formula 1 racing last week and the superb graphics on some of the drivers' crash helmets caught my eye. It got me wondering what designs our Photoshop folk would come up with. So for this weekend , I've supplied the crash helmet (or at least I've modelled one). Your challenge is to design the graphics. If you want to go a step further, can then put it on a driver in a suitable vehicle?

Anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone and everyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun.

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side.

To download the image below in jpeg format with ICC color profile (sRGB) and without the forum scaling artefacts , right click and then use Save Image As /Save Target As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW41CrashHelmet.jpg

Have fun

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beautiful artwork, Dave!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW41CrashHelmet.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure about that Graham? 

A couple of years back, a PJ buddy posted some rodeo pictures, and one had the rider flying from a bull with his hat perfectly aligned, but several feet from his head.  I mean it was just asking to be tweaked, so I removed the rider's head from  its body, and put it back in it's hat, and made some  appropriate edits to the now severed neck.  And then I posted it back on Facebook,  but to the Camera Club's FB group which is closed to  non members.  What I did  not realize, is that this was a junior rider, and he was only ten years old, and by heck, his mum and dad were not amused!  It was a close call as to whether my head was going to be removed from its body.  So I took down the picture and sent an apology,  and I more or less, didn't get murdered.  Black humour is not without risk...  just saying.

I wish I still had that picture though ROTFL.   I'll get my coat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1st; no klingons were harmed in the making of this image

2nd as a bike rider and volunteer worker its a very common senario

most important its art and the helmet needed a head in my minds eye so I made it real... sort of real that is

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2018 Oct 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very dark USSNorway !

Nice job Trevor - I love the choice of logos.

Reading your earlier comment on the difficulty of getting the graphics shaped I wonder if some guidelines based on the model mesh would help. Just drop them in as a temporary layer with blending mode screen or add

SFTW41-Wireframe.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, the mesh is very useful.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW41HelmetSymmetry.jpg

Normally I would do something like this in a 3D painting app. but this decoration was done in Photoshop. I used brush symmetry on a Photoshop 3D sphere - then put that 3D sphere into a smart object and warped it into shape on the helmet. The rest is just layers built up to change the colour and add reflections in order to make the dark look glossy.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, that is beautiful Dave.  It's like The Dark Rider getting in touch with his feminine side.  You'd need to be brave turning up to ride with your hard ar$ed biker pals wearing a helmet like that. 

BTW, I am thinking that Noddy's car has a 3D render look about it?  I am a  big fan of Adam Savage and his Tested Channel, and it is interesting to see the effort and techniques he makes and uses to make things look real.   I remember reading an article years ago, about models  used in Doctor Who and Red Dwarf, and when asked who they make their work  look less like models, and more like real, full size, objects, they were told 'lots of dirt.   They apparently use something  called Fuller's Earth, which is a fine dust. I believe they also use Fuller's Earth with movie pyrotechnics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, is it possible to wrap the helmet with a design so that it is nicely centred and symmetrical?  I'm thinking yesm but guessing it is not totally straight forward.  I have spent about three hours so far on this,  and it is not that easy.  If anyone wants a PSD file  with clipping paths to save you some time, PM me your email, or perhaps I'll upload to Dropbox.  (later... I'm cook our tea).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The colour range of the red parts made me think of something that made me start on something quite like the black/red humour supplied by Graham, only with a pool as a beginning/base; and decided to abstain in order to avoid my (average) getting too far away from the bright side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My girl listens to her Mom and keeps her head warm.Week041.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Health and safety comes to Toytown..

SFTW41Noddy.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice one Rista

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW41SportsBar.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't sure this would fit the theme, but since we are straying into decorative art.....

Week041_II.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great Work Rista - love it!

Trevor, your probably right about not turning up at a track day, or bike ride, wearing that helmet. Maybe this would work better..

SFTW41RacingHelmet.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would be nice if you could share the actual Blend file with us? I'd put the texture on it and re-render.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2018 Oct 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rayek.elfin  wrote

Would be nice if you could share the actual Blend file with us? I'd put the texture on it and re-render.

But that would defeat the point of the SFTW challenge - no limitations on what tools are used, but we all start with the same image

Jerry - I like what you've done with your avatar graphic. The racing on the TV is a nice touch.

Trevor, the Noddy car was just extracted from an online image and then altered a bit. Whether the original was created in 3D or as an illustration I don't know.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

Jerry - I like what you've done with your avatar graphic. The racing on the TV is a nice touch.

Dave

That confused me. I  went back up the thread looking for something like this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha - Health and safety reaches Pandora

Dave

[Edit to add : Lest my comment be mis-interpreted, I do support the wearing of  helmets for bikes, and car racing  and cycle helmets for cycling. A colleagues son had a devastating, life changing, accident when cycling. After seeing the results of that I always wear a cycle helmet.]

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

[Edit to add : Lest my comment be mis-interpreted, I do support the wearing of  helmets for bikes, and car racing  and cycle helmets for cycling.

Adding to what you say, Dave the requisite helmet should be a MIPS (Multi-directional Impact Protection System). I replaced my helmet several years ago. They are made for motorcycles, bicycles, skiing, and more.

I’m sorry about your friend’s son. A relative of mine has a brain injury after a fall, and I also know how devestating it is, both to the injured and to the family.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e  wrote

davescm   wrote

[Edit to add : Lest my comment be mis-interpreted, I do support the wearing of  helmets for bikes, and car racing  and cycle helmets for cycling.

Adding to what you say, Dave the requisite helmet should be a MIPS (Multi-directional Impact Protection System). I replaced my helmet several years ago. They are made for motorcycles, bicycles, skiing, and more.

I’m sorry about your friend’s son. A relative of mine has a brain injury after a fall, and I also know how devastating it is, both to the injured and to the family.

A wee angle on helmets — whether for motorcycles, cycles, skiing, horse riding  etc. — the craze of hanging a camera onto your protection system, can dramatically compromise its ability to do the jog it was intend for.  Just ask Michael Schumacher.  Or rather ask his wife who has looked after him since his GoPro pierced his helmet and skull when he had his ski accident.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

A wee angle on helmets — whether for motorcycles, cycles, skiing, horse riding  etc. — the craze of hanging a camera onto your protection system, can dramatically compromise its ability to do the jog it was intend for.  Just ask Michael Schumacher.  Or rather ask his wife who has looked after him since his GoPro pierced his helmet and skull when he had his ski accident.

Trevor.Dennis, what a horrible story about Michael! How is he doing now?

I wonder if it makes a difference that my MIPS helmet has a buil-in area in the top where the Go-Pro exactly fits? I own a Go-Pro now, once I find it and learn to use it.

Until I find it, I think I’ll just rig up your system, Trevor. I’m pretty sure the weight and size won’t upset my balance too much when I ride.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines