• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the Weekend - Part 92 - Going Underground.

Community Expert ,
May 08, 2020 May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

There were some brilliant ideas in last week's cabin and woods challenge. For this week though we have had enough fresh air and are going urban, specifically into the subway. I created and rendered this image in Blender 3D, and used Adobe Substance for texturing.

Now the scene is set, what will you do with it? What story will you tell with your edited image? You can do anything you like, just don't get mugged!

The “rules”:

• Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.
  • Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.
  • There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

To download the image below in jpeg format at 3000 x 2000 pixels and with an embedded ICC colour profile (sRGB), hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right. Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser)

SFTW92Subway.jpg

When posting back your image – please use the Blue reply button in this first post. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Enthusiast ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I became interested in the discussion of shadows and tried to apply it.  Did I get it anywhere near right or is it entirely out of whack?  I considered that the light fixture is sort of between the people.

Week-092_II.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rista

In such soft overhead and multiple lighting, the shadows will be much softer than that. They won't be casting shadows on the walls. They also fall away quickly the further way they move from the object. Finally don't forget the shadows on the subject due to the soft overhead lighting, not just from the subject.

Something like this:

SFTW92SubwayShadowDem.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, seeing your version next to mine makes all my mistakes very clear.  I even got the direction wrong.

Thank you so much for taking the time to give such easily visible advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got the advantage that I was working on the 3D model for a few days so I had a good feel for the lighting.  But as Trevor said in an earlier post, things like SFTW are a great way to practice and improve 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rista, this brings back vivid memories of when I was 20 years old, heard the door burst open behind me at 3:00 AM, looked in the reflection of the doors in front of me, and saw two scruffy men standing exactly like that with their guns pointed at me.

Is this a photo you took?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane, that sounds very scary.

It's not my photo.  The figures originally came from one of the free image sites and I had used them before,  cleanly selected and saved.   They just happened to come in handy here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm walking down the stairs and continuing onward when I hear skittering. I stop to look behind me...

It's here.

It's here.It's here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm out of there fast !  I would recomend viewing Warunicorn's image at full size to see it properly. Properly spooky it is - nice job !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hah!  That actually sent a wee tin gle down my spine.  I so wish we could add sound to these images.  You can often find a short mp3 clip that you can at least link to, but it would be great to include in a GIF type image.

I thought it might be fun to make it a topical meme, but it is way less spooky than your's James.

Its Here.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave and Trevor, thank you very much for mentioning the lack of grounding shadows and for your helpful hints and suggestions. Here is what I came up with. 

SFTW92SubwayAviles.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To see full size

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines