• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 93 - What goes around.....

Community Expert ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

There were some fantastic entries in last week's subway challenge. This week we have something completely different.

Those who have been taking part in the challenges for a while will know that sometimes we start with a scene and sometimes with an object. This week it is the latter and we have a wheel and tyre, or actually three views of a wheel and tyre just to give you some choice in the angles.

What will you do with this object? Will you put the wheel(s) on a suitable vehicle or will you use it to make something else entirely?

The “rules”:

• Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.
  • Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.
  • There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

To download the image below in jpeg format at 3000 x 2000 pixels and with an embedded ICC colour profile (sRGB), hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right. Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser)

SFTW93Wheels.jpg

When posting back your image – please use the Blue reply button in this first post. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The detail in your wheel and tire is exquisite, Dave, and makes me want to take a road trip to anyplace, grocery store not included.

~ Jane

SFTW93Wheels JE.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First to reply and with an SFTW logo for us Jane, thank you 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

grab me some mike while you are there please Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW93.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2020 May 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can just imagine the tyre fitter stepping back and saying 'Yes, I told you I could get it to fit!'  🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An early design Jacob. I'm worried about the bloke inside that animal's stomach on the right !  🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I want to try it again, particularly after I found out one or other new PS-trick for me. Yes here in the foothills of the Alps it's time to change type of tire. Good thing to have our brownies! My granddaughter gave me the idea!

Hans-Günter with a twinkle in my eyes ;-)))

SFTW93Wheels01ZwergeReifen.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice one Hans. 

It was while swapping from winter to summer tyres, on my car, that I got the idea for this week's image.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... however, let me give honour to whom honour is due, this "particularly after I found out one or other new PS-trick for me" it is you in this community to whom I owe these dodges. Many thanks! Warning: many questions are still open! ;-)))

Hans-Günter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea how you can render wheels and tires complete with thread pattern and make it so realistic Dave.  What are we going to do when you get snapped up by Disney? We are out of our Lock Down now so I have been able to get the timber I needed to progress some projects, so I don't have so much time now, but it is way too much fun not to do one or two.

Flintstrones.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice idea Trevor - Fred's GT model !  I like the logo, very close to a real tyre manufacturer.

For anyone modelling in Blender, the wheels made extensive use of mirror modifiers and array modifiers. The mirror modifier allows you model one side of an object and have it mirrored on the other side, the array modifier repeats objects. For example, I used both to make the spokes.  I modelled half a spoke, mirrored it, then created an array around the circle.

The tyres were much easier - a simple shape with a tyre material from Adobe Substance Source applied to the surface. Then the tyrewall logos added as a separate layer using the height channel.

2020-05-16_10-08-14.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW93WheelsAviles.jpg

This policeman in Quito is very happy with his upgraded wheels! Thank you for the great images, Dave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice job with the composite. It looks very realistic 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Dave. It's just your wheels replacing the ones in the original picture, and the requisite grounding shadows. They actually do have policemen going around on Segways in Quito!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Monument Valley background is a NASA image.

Week093.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yay! It's a while since we had lasers on SFTW. Good use of our wheels Rista.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spooky!   We need to view this with a 'Close Encounters' Da Da Da... Da Daaaa playing in our head.  Hey!  Now Facebook has bought Giffy, perhaps they'll work out a clever way to include sounds in a GIF.  Although I guess there's no resaon we couldn't use video as the forum hosts them OK.

Rafael, I love your Segway image, although I am not sure I'd want to ride one.  Jimi Heseldon — the man who bought the company back in 2009 — rode one off a cliff to his death less than a year after buying the company.   According to witnesses, he didn't even get to shout Geronimo!!! ...as he flew through the air.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Trevor! I did not know that about Heseldon, what a way to go...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Racers Edge.jpg

A timely theme this week. I'm hoping to get a new set of rims for my car in the near future. I'm just wondering if they would prove too tempting to theives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4  horse power in that motor... the good old days!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, couldn't you just get Dave to render some for you?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2020 May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do like that - great use of the wheel 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As others have said, this is timely. I also need new tires, and I expect I'll need to wheels to accommodate them!

~ Jane 

SFTW93Wheels JE B.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines