• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 96 - Early bath !

Community Expert ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Thanks to all that took part in last weekend's desk lamp challenge.

This week I give you an empty bathroom, which I modelled in Blender 3D and textured in Adobe Substance Painter. I'll leave it up to you how you bring it to life, but do keep it decent, this is a family forum 🙂 .

The “rules”:

• Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.
  • Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.
  • There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

To download the image below at 3000 x 2400 pixels with an embedded ICC colour profile (sRGB), hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right. Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW96Bathroom.jpg

When posting back your image – please use the Blue reply button in this first post. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun!

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2020 Jun 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe a little too subtle Jacob? I had to look very hard to see what you'd done.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe so, when you say it, Dave.

I always spend much time trying to get midway between too hidden and too obvious, and I am often in doubt, also knowing it will depend on monitor/screen, and on whatever may be changed by the forum software.

The longest time ever spent was on the ghost in the mirror in 39 where I kept changing back and forth, and reposted many times because it was much more obvious when saving than when posted. I believe the forum software changes something, at least in some cases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2020 Jun 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, for one, resorted to Difference Mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! I, too, had to do that to see the difference...subtle indeed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW96BathroomAviles.jpg

Keeping it clean...

Beautiful image, Dave! It was so perfect I really didn't want to mess with it! Thank you very much again for doing this, it is a lot of fun!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rafael. That's a definite "lifestyle" image you've produced 🙂

Being picky, the bath nearest the wall, and the floor underneath it, need a bit of additional shadow from the second bath.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point, Dave! I did not think about it but now that you mention it, it makes a lot of sense. This is what I like about this activity, I always learn something!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for pointing out the need for more shadow, here is what I came up with. I do appreciate all your help!

SFTW96BathroomAviles.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same thoughts as Rafael, Dave. It's so perfect I didn't want to mess with it. The "mess" will come as soon as she hits the water, but we won't see it!

~ Jane

SFTW96Bathroom JE.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jane.

That's a nice frozen image - she'll definitely make a splash. The ripples on the water look good.

One picky thing, the surface of the water should be flat before she hits it , not curved with the sides of the bath. It might well curve like that once she hits it though 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"One picky thing..."

Thank you for your always helpful insight, Dave. I've fixed the water level and added a subtle shadow on her back. You have a great eye for detail!

I wonder if you can give us a tip or two on putting a reflection in the beveled mirror?

~ Jane

SFTW96Bathroom JE 2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane

A reflection in the mirror is a lot harder than it appears.

The issue is that the mirror sees the other side of the subject - so take the example of a viewer standing, just off centre, behind someone looking in the mirror. Directly you see the back of the subject's head , in the reflection you see their face. Very different views.  With a distant object reflected in a plane, for example a distant building reflected in a lake, you can fudge it by flipping the image and using ripples to hide the incorrect details. But for a mirror on a wall you need to either :

a. Use a separate image of the person taken from the point of view of the mirror

b. Use a 3D model and reflect the lightpath (which is what I did for the room in the image)

c. Use good painting and drawing skills to simulate the reflection (but it would have to be good to be convincing alongside a photograph)

The good news is that where the girl is positioned relative to the angle of the mirror, she we would not show in the reflection.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane,

A breathtaking display of power and ease and thrill: she is inexplicably able to hover long enough to create the downwash (as a (literally) standing wave) that allows overfilling without spilling, her hair lifted (by the vortex ring) even before she lets go in a twinkle and plunges into the plunge bath.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That, plus a suspension of belief, Jacob! 😊

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bathroom-something-for-the-weekend.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bathroom-something-for-the-weekend-lady.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hah!  No need to look at who posted this image Leslie.  It can only have been you.  Fantastic as usual.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Trevor! I haven't seen you in ages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love your drawings, Leslie — this is perfect!

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha - that first image made me laugh Leslie. Happy animals!

The second one is great -you have real character in your drawing - excellent !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hardly know what to say Dave.  We routinely use words like 'superb', 'excellent' and even 'breathtaking' when you upload these renders, but this one takes it to a whole new level.  It's way better than photorealistic because it would be difficult to photograph that scene and make it look that good.  I suppose I'd better pull my finger out andf have a go this week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Trevor.

The scene is lit the way I would light a photograph. The main light is coming through the window and there is a second, large but dimmer, light  just off to the right of the scene to fill in some of the shadows. I deliberately made the outside scenery look slightly overexposed as that gave a photographic feel to the scene.

The model (with the ceiling removed so you can see the layout):

davescm_0-1591442917544.png

Looking forward to see what you do with it 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, I'd just like to add my awe and amazement to your work. I don't know how to do this stuff at all, but I've seen bad ones so I know yours are on a whole different level.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines