• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend ?

Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We spend a lot of time on the forum asking questions and helping each other out, quite rightly, as that is the purpose of the forum.

However, given the excellent range of skills across our forum users - how about a bit of fun and a chance to show off your Photoshop skills.

This is one of my favourite bits of coastline in the North East of England. I wonder what it might look like in the future though. With global warming will the sea rise or fall? Will the coast be developed , might the castle be restored/ or removed and replaced with something else?

Anything goes as long as it keeps to the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Everyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop "Grand Master".

No prizes - just the chance to practice / show off or  bring a bit of humour and fun!

Dunstanburgh.jpg

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Jan 07, 2018 Jan 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only one American entry so far, they must be too busy 'Making America Great Again'

You should offer a prize Dave,

First Prize: 1 week in the White House with Donald and Melania Trump

Second Prize : Two weeks in the White House with Donald and Melania Trump and the chance to play with Barron's train set- Union Pacific.

Third Prize An evening with Harvey Weinstein , Kevin Spacey and Al Franken. Entertainment provided by David Duke duetting with Diana Ross and Beyoncé Knowles in a rousing rendition of the Camptown Races Spectacular light show visible on the grass outside through the window. Bullet proof vests supplied on request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's still the weekend over there Terri so plenty time for late entries. You forgot the fourth prize - a swim in the North Sea in January

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 08, 2018 Jan 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Terri+Stevens  wrote

Only one American entry so far, they must be too busy 'Making America Great Again'

You should offer a prize Dave,

First Prize: 1 week in the White House with Donald and Melania Trump

Second Prize : Two weeks in the White House with Donald and Melania Trump and the chance to play with Barron's train set- Union Pacific.

Third Prize An evening with Harvey Weinstein , Kevin Spacey and Al Franken. Entertainment provided by David Duke duetting with Diana Ross and Beyoncé Knowles in a rousing rendition of the Camptown Races Spectacular light show visible on the grass outside through the window. Bullet proof vests supplied on request.

Ahh, I knew there was a REALLY, REALLY GOOD REASON why I didn't enter this contest.  Just living in the same country with the "gentlemen" you mentioned is frightening enough!!!

Ann

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What the heck...let's just turn the whole thing into a parking lot. And then obviously, the logical next step is a whole village of apartment buildings for the insanely rich elderly.

weekend.jpg

BTW, the "The D.Fosse award for correct use of colour (any colour!)" goes to Dave, for the blue sky in the original shot. It's...perfect. Really. This is what a mid-day blue sky looks like. But I can't afford to send him an Eizo, so it'll have to be a sky blue crayon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Poor Dave, I don't think he expected to see his house demolished by a Norwegian with attitude. I thought you were supposed to give us Christmas Trees Dag! Come on America the Europeans are beating the preverbial **** out of you on this . I know it's cold there and your microprocessors are frozen solid there, but if Trevor can do it upside down with a band of hostile Maoris with curare tipped spears at his door at the door, so can you. No wonder you never win the Ryder Cup and Justin Gatlin only win when plugged into an intravenous drip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

His house...? Are you saying, Terri, that Dave lives in a castle? That explains a lot. Looks like it could use a paint job, though.

Norman, I think you're a bit pessimistic here. By all accounts it's not 0-0-0, but rather 100-0-0. Let's talk again in ten years time, and I'm sure you'll see it differently

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha- I love the little touch of the picture on the floor Dag. I hope I can get a parking space though, perhaps I'll mark it out with my new crayon .

Norman - you will be teaching us all for many, many years to come, but please remember to take the ND10 filter off the next entry. You still win the best use of Lab award though

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

the little touch of the picture on the floor Dag.

I was curious whether anyone would notice, that was the little pièce de résistance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I show you what a day at the beach can be like in my part of the world, with apologies for the messed up perspective, but I wanted to use source images as close to me as possible.  The Kaikoura earthquake from just over a year ago had the fault rupture starting inland from Kaikoura, and traveling along the ground through Ward an Seddon at a speed of three kilometres a second. 

Large areas of the seabed lifted two metres leaving tons of sealife high and dry.  The large rick from right lifted three metres.  The Geonet scientists thought it was fantastic!  I kid you not, they were in raptures of excitement to have such an unusual earthquake to study.  The fault from mid left towards the centre extended for hundreds of metres.  If you click to expand you can see four tiny scientists — I did say that the perspective was pants.

I love how the road split along the centre line.  I imaging that the tar seal was laid in two strips, and that join was a weak point.  In one place the road dropped six metres, but that was more slip than thrust.  The main north south road opened on the 15th December, but there is heaps more work to do.  We hoping it gets finished before the next big one stuffs it all up again.

FWIIW, that quake lasted two minutes, which is much longer than most, and got progressively stronger.  Towards the end it would have been impossible to stand, so Chris and I sat down holding on to each other hoping that the house wasn't going to fall on us.  Amazingly, we had very little damage, but infrastructure was totally buggered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Earthquakes !!! I'm glad I wasn't driving along that road when that happened. We are lucky here in that the UK is on a stable bit of the earth's crust.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

Earthquakes !!! I'm glad I wasn't driving along that road when that happened. We are lucky here in that the UK is on a stable bit of the earth's crust.

Dave

We were incredibly lucky Dave.  It happened at half past midnight, and only one person was killed when their house collapsed on them, and there is some talk about that being heart attack rather than trauma.  Our houses are mostly single story using light materials.  The roofs are sheet metal corrugated to look like concrete tiles, and these are supported by lots of very lightweight trusses.  So they don't build enough energy to collapse when shaken.  When the shake changes direction, the light weight means less inertia to overcome.  It is solidly built masonry buildings that fall down.

The big Christchurch quake seven years ago caused more damage than usual because it had an unusually large vertical component. The bearings that they support large buildings on to earthquake proof them, don't absorb vertical movement.

The roads were buggered, but traffic is light here even in the day time. There would have been very view vehicles at 12.30am, although a goods train did get stuck in a tunnel.  Imagine how scary that would have been?  The shaking was incredible where we are 40 kilometers away, so imaging how it would have been in that train cab right on the epicenter?

The train was stuck there for months, and they had to put a 24 hour guard on it after it was looted.  I remember stories about new motorcycles, but this link does not mention them.  Do you remember Whisky Galore?  In defense of NZ, I will point out that we apparently the second least corrupt country in the world.

Good to see your thread has some legs now Dave.  Will you let it run, or change the picture after a while?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was thinking of letting it run for a few more days in case anyone who missed it wants a go. I'll start a new thread on Friday, with a new challenge, as SFTW part 2. I'll lock the first thread at that point. What do you think?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

I was thinking of letting it run for a few more days in case anyone who missed it wants a go. I'll start a new thread on Friday, with a new challenge, as SFTW part 2. I'll lock the first thread at that point. What do you think?

Dave

I vote Yes!  This was my first challenge; it was jolly fun!  And next time, I'll actually post my entry. 

Ann

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

Dave

Ahhh...  I had missed that reference.  For those that do not know, Steve Caplin's How to Cheat at Photoshop forum has had a regular Friday Challenge since......

Steve is right up there with the likes of Bert Monroy, and he always used to to — and very probably still does  — give useful feedback on every entry.  That is pretty special if you think about it.

Ahhhh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I don't have Steve's credentials to give that feedback, but that's no reason why we can't have a bit of fun here whilst learning from each other 🙂

I'll start the next one as I already have something to ready to use but I am also happy if anyone else wants to chip in with images and challenges as we go forward.

There is a great community here. It is good to build on It.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's cool Dave, and I am pleased that the thread got some legs after its slow start.  Can I bags image #3 pretty please?

[EDIT]  Is there any reason why we are keeping the image size down?  How about putting up a decent sized source image, and asking folk to downsize to something like 1000 to 1200 pixels on the long side when positing their edits?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes of course 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2018 Jan 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good ideas Trevor. The first was just an experiment to see if it had any legs and to learn what worked.

Thanks to all for taking part in great spirit, although there does seem to be a very pessimistic view of the future in our community - from Wildcat's dark image , through Trevor's nuclear war, to Norman's black hole. There were some surprises such as finding it was Terri who submitted the death star, and finding myself in a beret on the beach , courtesy of Trevor. I liked Dag's car park and retirement homes idea, although the road to it could also do with some work, if Trevor's image is anything to go by. I think I'll have to use Derek's stamp and envelope to apply for one of those retirement apartments..........

Thanks again to all - we'll start a new one on Friday . If anyone has just come across this thread - come and join us this coming weekend.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/D+Fosse  wrote

What the heck...let's just turn the whole thing into a parking lot.

You could have at least put Joni in the background singing her little heart out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At my age I have a pretty good idea of what the future looks like.

(For the record, I created this in Lab)

black.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to upload my contribution from my computer, but I keep getting the message "That Image type forbidden."  Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change the format to (say) a JPG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Derek. I tried JPG and PNG, and a photo of my dog to make sure there wasn't a problem with the content.  Same message each time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Try exporting your image as jpeg using "Save for Web". The forum button should then work fine as long as the file size is not too big (which won't be a problem if the image size is the same as the original image) .

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lc55472355  wrote

Trying to upload my contribution from my computer, but I keep getting the message "That Image type forbidden."  Any suggestions?

It's actually incredibly easy to add images to threads.  No need to use the forum widget and upload. Just copy to the clipboard, and paste with Ctrl v (Cmd v).  A lot of us use Greenshot to grab screen shots.  That makes it even easier.

http://getgreenshot.org/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines