• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend ?

Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We spend a lot of time on the forum asking questions and helping each other out, quite rightly, as that is the purpose of the forum.

However, given the excellent range of skills across our forum users - how about a bit of fun and a chance to show off your Photoshop skills.

This is one of my favourite bits of coastline in the North East of England. I wonder what it might look like in the future though. With global warming will the sea rise or fall? Will the coast be developed , might the castle be restored/ or removed and replaced with something else?

Anything goes as long as it keeps to the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Everyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop "Grand Master".

No prizes - just the chance to practice / show off or  bring a bit of humour and fun!

Dunstanburgh.jpg

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Participant ,
Jan 07, 2018 Jan 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

lc55472355   wrote

Trying to upload my contribution from my computer, but I keep getting the message "That Image type forbidden."  Any suggestions?

It's actually incredibly easy to add images to threads.  No need to use the forum widget and upload. Just copy to the clipboard, and paste with Ctrl v (Cmd v).  A lot of us use Greenshot to grab screen shots.  That makes it even easier.

http://getgreenshot.org/

Okay, using the Windows Snipping Tool I copied my image and pasted it in the message box.  However, I originally made the mistake of copying Dave's small image of the coast--this is my first time on here and I didn't think to try to expand the image (DUH!) before grabbing it.  Ergo my picture is small, grainy, and all the detail I put into it is lost.  *Sigh*  I kinda figured that once I got it out of Ps it would be hard to read, but I was enjoying working on it too much to stop.

Nonetheless, my thanks to Dave for giving me something fun to do on a cold, rainy day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi lc55472355 I still don't see your image? You need to be online (not email) to post an image. Don't worry about the lower resolution - post it anyway.

Incidentally to grab the original image, like the one I posted, from the forum - I usually right click it and then "Save picture As" and just save it to the PC then open it in Photoshop.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

Hi lc55472355  I still don't see your image? You need to be online (not email) to post an image. Don't worry about the lower resolution - post it anyway.

Incidentally to grab the original image, like the one I posted, from the forum - I usually right click it and then "Save picture As" and just save it to the PC then open it in Photoshop.

Dave

Thanks for encouraging me to post it, but I have just enough pride as a wannabe artist to not put it up when all the cheeky bits I put into it would not be discernible. 

I've been dragging and dropping, snipping, and copying and pasting off the internet forever.  I used to use Save Picture As when nothing else would work, before I got the Snipping Tool a couple of years ago.  I can't believe I forgot all about the SPA option!  It gave me a 3.06MB image in place of the 413KB Snip!

When I first read the your challenge, I figured you all had some way to import a higher res of the image using some icon or trick or other provided by Adobe for the forum.  It's my own fault for not rubbing my grey cells together for a minute or two and figuring it out instead of rushing to work on the poor copy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a good point. If I start one of these again - I'll include something on how to grab the picture.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lc55472355  wrote

However, I originally made the mistake of copying Dave's small image of the coast

Always click to expand forum images.  Right click and copy grabs the full res even if it is much larger than the screen.

A good way to get images from a Photoshop composite is the select the top most layer, and add a copy merged layer (Shift Ctrl Alt e)

Then Ctrl A to select all, and Ctrl C to  copy.  Then paste into the thread.

If the the image over-spills the forum window, click to display the corner handles, and drag to downsize.  But always wait a few seconds first to see if Jive does it automatically.

You mentioned the Windows Snipping Tool.  GreenShot is like the Snipping Tool on steroids.  You can add rectangles, circles, arrows, lines, obfuscate and all sorts.  It makes life very easy for the forums regular posters.  It has more functionality than other screen grabbers in that it freezes the screen including all cursors, although this does not work when some modifier keys are pressed.

Looking forward to seeing your beach shot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 08, 2018 Jan 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Trevor.  I'll answer inline below in Bold.

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

lc55472355   wrote

However, I originally made the mistake of copying Dave's small image of the coast

Always click to expand forum images.  Right click and copy grabs the full res even if it is much larger than the screen.

A good way to get images from a Photoshop composite is the select the top most layer, and add a copy merged layer (Shift Ctrl Alt e)

Then Ctrl A to select all, and Ctrl C to  copy.  Then paste into the thread.

I've often made a flattened merged layer like this (after completing a project with what seems like a thousand layers, it just feels like insurance to produce one final layer with everything on it, if you know what I mean).   I read that a merged layer is supposed to be slightly sharper than the layers composite,  but I can't see the difference.  Strange, but the Ps Copy command on my PC doesn't load the image onto the clipboard--I can't paste it outside Ps.  Actually, the upload parameters Adobe gives are pretty generous, and if the image is too big I can always export it as a JPG and specify the image size.  That is, when the image is a whole lot larger than 619 x 413 px!  I always work with a resolution of 300 px/inch, and the smallest pieces I've produced are artist trading cards  2.5" x 3.5" at 750px x 1050px! 

If the image over-spills the forum window, click to display the corner handles, and drag to downsize.  But always wait a few seconds first to see if Jive does it automatically.

Cool.  Good to know.

You mentioned the Windows Snipping Tool.  GreenShot is like the Snipping Tool on steroids.  You can add rectangles, circles, arrows, lines, obfuscate and all sorts.  It makes life very easy for the forums regular posters.  It has more functionality than other screen grabbers in that it freezes the screen including all cursors, although this does not work when some modifier keys are pressed.

You recommended GreenShot to me in your first message yesterday, so I went to their website, took a look, and downloaded it.  Holy cow!  I only tested it a couple times, but the GreenShot image files are 7.5 times larger than Snipping Tool's!  I haven't known what I've been missing. 

Looking forward to seeing your beach shot

If you're seriously curious to see it, message me an email or dropbox address and I'll send it to you.   In the meantime, I've got some problems with the Ps 2018 brush management update that I need to post a shoutout for.  I also need to see if I can change my screen ID to something more human. . . .

Thanks again for your aid! 

Ann

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines